What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

for now.. leave the nep in standing water until it acclimates. Just try to not let it dry out.. I kept them rather wet for a year now.

No such thing as over watering utrics. ;)

I haven't dropped off the face of the earth, I've just been CRAZY busy!!! But I feel like a turd for not checking in on everyone sooner and updating on my progress so get ready for a long post...

Utrics - Seem to be doing fine, growing some new little leaves and must be wet enough since I'm seeing a lot of itty bitty little greem moss "trees" poking up here and there. I'm happy with how they're doing so far!

Nep - Still no change :down: But while it's not perking up any it's not losing green any further either so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for it!

Ping - About the same as it was but since it's still supposed to be in it's dormancy I'm not surprised or worried about that.

D. capensis - :help::spazz: I've been trying to figure out what this lil devil wants me to give it! At one point I was pretty happy because I had ONE teensy weensy little leaf that had the tiniest of dew drops on it so I thought it was maybe looking up but I've lost that and looking at the original pics in this thread though has me spazzin out because I realize that it's declining just very slowly. :cry: It's in a saucer of water and I give the top of the soil a little spritz from my sprayer once a day or so, sitting in the window with the others getting some partial, filtered sun. It's like it's spindley, yanno? The "stems" and "leaves" are kinda thin and sparse like it's starving for something. I've started putting a light right on it for a bit each day and will be leaving that light on more and more hoping that what it wants is more light but ramping it up slowly so as not to shock the poor lil guy. It can't be wanting for water...maybe humidity? I don't want to change two factors at once though because then if there's a change in the plant I won't know what did it and might kill it trying to figure that out!! Such a frustrating little :cuss:!! But I'm LOVIN it all too! lol Any thoughts?

In non-cp news, one of the many things we're working on is Personal Ponies (don't know if it's ok to post the url but you can google em if you're interested). We took in two ponies and they're just cuter than a bug's butt!! They're only 40" and 37" tall! But it turns out they need a wee bit of training before they'll be ready to make a public debut at any nursing home or anything because they're a bit spoiled rotten and nibbley (or the lil suckers BITE if you want it blunt! :-))) But things are going really well with them.

Now that my husband has more fully recovered from shattering most of the ribs on his left side we're back to hand clearing our land from the THICK cedar, prickly pears, and other growing odds and ends, just a chainsaw and muscle power! I should say selectively clearing. We enjoy the privacy that the cedars provide, you can't see our house from the road or most other angles, and the variety of wildlife that call it all home or feel safe enough to wander through it, deer, rabbit, fox, armadillo, road runners, variety of birds, etc. We don't want to ruin that but we do need to create space that the horses can use too so we're trying to balance the two desires. Sadly, most of the cleared stuff just goes on the burn pile but we try to salvage the cedar that we can by peeling it into poles which we then reuse in building the fence. We like the rustic, pole fence look, makes us feel a smidge better about cutting it down, and it's easier on the pocketbook! It takes work though getting everything done!!

I won't go too far into the legal battle I'm embroiled in because they don't make an emote that adequately expresses my feelings on the matter :0o: Suffice to say that I'm trying to get my money back from a place I studied at because the teacher kicked me out of classes for something that I did NOT do, has been telling the world that I did this awful thing (can we say SLANDER suit if someone doesn't muzzle that...ahem...), and has since been found by TWC to be an illegally run school to boot! The court has ordered her to give all her students refunds but to date she's refusing.

Spring gardening is sooooo close!!!! I've got so many sprouts growing indoors right now we're out of places to put them all but I've still got seeds! It's driving me crazy, I want to plant ALL the seeds!! :-)) I guess I kinda need to prep a garden for em all though, huh? One more thing on the "omg we're running out of time, get it DONE" to do list. Anyone need some non-cp seeds?

We finally took down our pool! Our house came with an above ground pool (13x21 Splash) which was nice at first for the kids but now they've outgrown it, the pump has died, none of us want the work and expense of keeping it up, and it's in my future riding arena! So we pulled all the supports and poles out of it and it's drying but don'tcha think it'd made a pretty awesome liner for a pond? And maybe that pond could have a shallower bog-like end? And maybe some cps could find their way into this bog-ish section? :-D But that would also mean setting up a system for rain collection because while buying gallons of purified water for the few little potted babies I have now is no problem there's no way I can afford it for a whole bog garden! Can we say my to do list is already too long? lol

That's the biggest highlights, hectic but that's how it goes! Even with how crazy life can get I promise to catch up and do better about coming to see everyone. I miss you, my fellow nuts! lol

I was starting to worry about you.. Thought you fell and hit your head.

Perhaps the dew is craving some humidity. Try tossing it into a ziplock with a mist or two, and giving it good light. That usually works on any CP in a pinch.

What is the nep planted in? Looks like it needs humidity too. I think Travs humidity is rather high all the time. It can wither a plant rather quickly if shocked into lower house humidity.

capensis while very versatile, appreciates cooler nights. about a 10-15F difference. see if this helps the plant out. if you happen to lose it, i've got 4-5 that i can part with.

I am pretty sure everyone has 4-5 capensis they can part with! :-D

Try lower temps and higher humidity like the others said, that may do it.

I am pretty sure everyone has 4-5 capensis they can part with! :-D

Try lower temps and higher humidity like the others said, that may do it.

LOL!....at least... and Mexican pings...

As if I don't already have enough on my plate these stupid pony people have screwed me. PPL looks so great on the surface but it's rotten inside!

JB - I've got that nep potted in 50/50 sphag/sand. The last bit of green on it has turned brown now:cry:

The capensis continues to resist my efforts to kill it! :rookwoot: I've put the lil guy outside with protection from our winds but standing in water, a little surface water daily, and SUNLIGHT in oodles!

Funny you should mention pings, jimscott, because it's now doing poorly! :crap: The only thing different with it is I started watering it so that should settle the question once and for all that I'm the problem here!! lol

Stay tuned, more news as it occurs!! :-O

If'n ya need more, just give me a hollar.

N. albomarginata is officially dead :ohno: I'm sorry, mass!

D. capensis continues to slowly melt away with higher humidity or not. In desperation I'm going to try repotting it with more sand, less peat, just in case the peat I got was somehow too rich? It's organic and I can't find a word anywhere on it about fertilizers of any sort but I know that it should've bounced back by now.

Little utric and ping are still holding, neither really dying off or getting stronger. Do you think I should try repotting them too?

congrads and welcome..the madness will grow on you

oh wow.. I've missed stuff here.

No worries on the nep. I'm sorry it didn't do better for you. If it makes you feel any better I just killed my favorite variation of albomarginata too.

Aww jeez, no, of course that doesn't make me feel better, it just makes me feel bad for you too!! lol

If you want more D. capensis I have about 70 of them...

mcmcnair, I may just take you up on that if I don't figure out what this one wants soon! I did repot it with more like 70% sand, 30% peat and it perked up for 2-3 days, even got a few tiny drops of dew, before it went downhill again. After reading around for a bit I thought that maybe the soil was getting too hot (in a smaller, brownish pot in full sun, perked up after a repot which would have been nice, cool soil for a bit) and repotted it again in a larger, white pot, 50/50 peat/perlite, top water daily. It's still not coming back that I can tell but I'm going to give it awhile.

In other news another kind member shared some divisions with me!! So my growlist has grown to include a dente flytrap, some sarracenias, and a Florida Giant sundew. I promised pics and haven't gotten around to them yet but I swear I'll get them up here tomorrow come hell or high water!!

:-D PM sent

Ya know.. technically I'm not allowed to send more plants UNTIL you post more pics. ;)

Sheesh these pics are so terrible I don't really want to post them but I promised so...
D. filiformis
scaled.php

Sarracenia 'Yellow Trumpet'
scaled.php

dente flytrap
scaled.php

'Scarlet Belle'
scaled.php

'Dana's Delight'
scaled.php

Now my assignment is to get better pics and updated pics on my other wee ones!

Your other assignment is to once again PM me your shipping address. ;)

If I may make a suggestion, notice how the second to last photo has the most focus. When you take your pictures don't try to get too close as even if you get a large area the image itself is also very large and will clearly capture small areas.

Back