My grow rack
Just some pics to show my version of a grow rack using a system of pulleys and vinyl curtain (not unlike a window blind). Strip magnets help to seal the curtain to the rack and does a relatively good job or holding in the humidity. Any constructive comments are welcome. Pictures are not in any order. Sorry.
Without knowing the details...
I would recommend you remove the humidifier from inside the rack.
Speaking from experience...It wont take long to start developing algae issues in the reservoir. Also, the high ambient humidity will likely damage the PCB's inside the humidifier.
just my humble opinion.
Av makes a good point. I've had similar experiences with keeping the humidifier inside the rack. You look more than capable of DIYing a hose to get the fog into the rack. Another bonus of keeping it outside the rack is that outside the rack is probably at least a little cooler than inside under those lights. The water stays cooler and you get a nice cooling effect from the fog being pumped in, on top of the evaporative cooling. One other thing I'd mention. It's kinda hard to tell from the pics, but if you've got the wood inside the rack where it's humid, you will almost without question develop mold unless it's treated lumber. Something to look out for, anyway.
Lookin' good, though. Love the DIY curtain concept.
Thanks for your comments. I've been running this setup since August of this year. The setup is in the basement and temps hardly get above 80F in the rack. So far no mold on the wood yet. Guess it will be just a matter of time. Humidifier is an ultrasonic with a hygrostat on a short wire and haven't notice any algae yet. Could it be that the ultrasonic vibrations prevent mold from growing ? May have to extend the hygrostat wire somehow if I were to put the humidifier outside the rack. Thanks again.
oh it will happen.... sooner or later, it takes a while to start but once it does..... it does
Nah, the vibrations don't prevent algae. The one I had issues with was also ultrasonic. Gets a nice, green film on it after a while. XD
I didn't notice one, do you have a fan in the setup? If so, that might help keep the mold at bay. But I, personally, have never had good experiences with untreated wood in high humidity. You might have a different experience all-together. I should have said "... but if [I've] got wood... where it's humid, [I] I will almost without question develop mold unless it's treated lumber." LOL.