What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting Non-CP plants I can ask for for Christmas?

Vbkid

Getting There...
So after my parents asked me what I want for Christmas today, I got to thinking that I might like to order some seeds for some interesting plants!
So I'm just looking for some ideas of what is out there worth considering!
First, I like edible things, so things int the dragon fruit/miracle fruit/ghost pepper vein are right up my alley.
Second, interesting plants like mimosa pudica are cool too!
I'm in St. Louis, so either need to be able to survive outside most of the year here, or can fit reasonably inside!
Thanks for the suggestions!
Kyle

I didn't know there were interesting NON-CP plants out there. Other than ferns..

Get a Christmas.... errr.... Holiday Cactus. I hate being PC.

You can get ghost pepper seeds if you like things that are insanely hot.. They are killer though :lol:

Miracle fruit cant take temps below 50 so be careful with that. And its a super slow grower.

fruit coctail tree if you area is warm enough, plums pears and apples all on one tree.....

If you go with dragonfruit buy cuttings not seeds. Cuttings are cheap and very easy to root. The lightest frost will kill a dragonfruit though so keep that in mind too.

I really love Hoyas. They have very interesting, colorful flowers and a wide variety of leaf shapes. However, you could only grow them outdoors in warmer weather. There are some that stay fairly compact, so it may not be too much trouble to keep indoors in winter. I'm growing a H. lacunosa "sno caps" that is pretty compact and has been blooming for months.

I don't know if you'd consider these interesting, but I think that Lithops are pretty cool. I'm trying to get a few seeds to germinate as we speak. I'd also recommend the Mimosa, although I'm not sure if you have it or not. It grows very fast, and is invasive in most places, so take that into consideration.

Sensitive plants - Mimosa pudica are somewhat interesting.

Get some Amorphophallus bulbs on ebay, they can be had for next to nothing nowadays.

Oh yea i atually want to get a sensitive plant! Been meaning to get one of those for a long time.

PassionVine/Passion Flower
:bigthumpup:
Interesting flowers, & many should be perrennial in your area.
(Assume from your post you are wanting something for the outdoors.)

Could try gigantic veggys, like massively huge pumpkins & such.
Or maybe some things not quite so hardy but interesting, like cotton plants,
something tropical like a bananas or Plumeria (common name Frangipani), cacti (which actually flower nicely), or giant Redwood burls perhaps?

How about a mushroom growing kit?
Or if you are really bored...
a packet of instant Triops or Sea Monkeys!

I have had a few of these things when I was young, and they are interesting to say the least.
(Although many were not even available, back when I was a kid.)
In fact there's a lot of interesting garbage... er... gifts out there, just use your imagination!
Yea some things are a bit silly, but there is a lot to learn & experience in raising,growing & caring for even the simplest of living things.

Good luck with your choosing!

By the way, Mimosa Pudica (Sensitive Plants) will not survive the winter, however they may seed themselves & return on their own the following year. They do get a bit "insensitive" when growing outdoors, as the repeated winds & movement make them somewhat unresponsive. I have also noticed them producing some vicious pointed spikes when grown very large, but they are super easy to grow & reseed generously.

I didn't know there were interesting NON-CP plants out there.

Lots and lots of them! :jester:

Get a Christmas.... errr.... Holiday Cactus. I hate being PC.

That's why I generally don't bother. :D

While not edible (with few exceptions), orchids are my fav. Though I would recommend not going the seed route there.

Also not edible but cool -- members of the Stapelia family (including Huernia), and Myrmecophytes.

balls-icon.png

Back