Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Copyright Infringement?!?!?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Honestly I don't have an answer to your question, but I do wonder why it matters?

I could care less if any of my photos get used by other people, I'd probably just be flattered. Once you put them on the web to be viewed there are so many multitudes of ways that they can be recreated and tampered with. It would seem helpless to try and keep them your own.
    I am slightly flattered. Though it does say on my site,".. may not be republished without my permission."
    I simply want to be asked to use my photos, and/or credited for the photography. I can think of a few other sites out there with my photography being used. But all of them have asked permission. I always say yes.. as it is quite flattering.

Quote Originally Posted by Heli View Post
    I dont really know a lot about this stuff but did you copyright the photo?
    yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Now mass, you cant really complain when you are using someone else's original artwork for your avatar...

I was waiting for that one.
    However, I'm not using it on my website, republishing it as my own, or taking credit for it as being my art in anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    I was waiting for that one.
    However, I'm not using it on my website, republishing it as my own, or taking credit for it as being my art in anyway.
    However, by using it out of context of its original form, and without providing attribution, you are venturing into the same territory as the person using your photo without providing credit to you as its author. Using someone else's artwork as an avatar on a discussion forum isn't really any different; you are just making an arbitrary distinction between the two usage scenarios, and I don't see much difference, to be honest. If you use someone else's work without attribution, then it is a copyright infringement, by definition. Period.

I am just stating facts as I perceive them, not at all interested in arguing this point. :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    However, by using it out of context of its original form, and without providing attribution, you are venturing into the same territory as the person using your photo without providing credit to you as its author. Using someone else's artwork as an avatar on a discussion forum isn't really any different; you are just making an arbitrary distinction between the two usage scenarios, and I don't see much difference, to be honest. If you use someone else's work without attribution, then it is a copyright infringement, by definition. Period.

I am just stating facts as I perceive them, not at all interested in arguing this point. :-)
    point taken..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting. Yes, your photo is copyrighted as soon as you took it, no need to register it. But NaN mentioned photobucket. When you upload your photos to photobucket or any other photo sharing site, are you giving up some or all of your rights?
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    For works created in the US or by a US Citizen you cannot file a copyright infringement suit in US courts unless the works have been registered with the US Copyright Office before the infringement or within 3 months of the publication of the work. Nor can you collect any attorney fees or damages unless the works were registered.

Note to Photobucket users according to their TOS:
    ^^^^ And this is why I do not use photobucket.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

I cant really add anything new to this discussion, as all pertinent statements/facts have been made... But I know how ya feel... Like Paul, I used to have my photos stolen constantly.. Kinda part of using the internet and having photos online.. Thieves will always take em and use em without permission. Best you can do is do what Paul says..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep all my photobucket albums private and uncopyable. This mitigates the possibility of them being used.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have absolutely no problems with my pics being used. Like Dex pointed out, it is quite flattering. However, I just want people to credit me for my photography, or ASK PERMISSION! How hard is that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very informative thread - thanks to all contributors. I learned some good stuff in here.

All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast