Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Live Sphagnum?

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    Yup, that's Sphagnum. There's no way I can ID it because the growth head is way too small.

I was about to say, there are definitely Sphagnum bogs in California, they're just in the northern part.
    Awesome! Do California sphagnum mosses go dormant during certain seasons?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should during winter if kept outside. I've noticed the Sphagnum doesn't slow down as much as vascular plants in cold weather. It doesn't need consistent dormancies from my experiences either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should during winter if kept outside. I've noticed the Sphagnum doesn't slow down as much as vascular plants in cold weather. It doesn't need consistent dormancies from my experiences either.
    Well, I just noticed them today when capping off a sprinkler. It's winter and they're outside. If they are dormant, then they definitely don't turn brown during dormancy, which is good. I'll put them in my new greenhouse when it's set up and I'll see how they do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sphagnum rarely browns during dormancy, which makes it very easy to find this time of year. I'd leave a little patch of it next to the greenhouse, just to keep a natural setting for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sphagnum rarely browns during dormancy, which makes it very easy to find this time of year. I'd leave a little patch of it next to the greenhouse, just to keep a natural setting for it.
    It's growing right where I'm going to put the greenhouse. Not sure if it will end up next to it or inside of it. If it ends up inside, it will more than likely be covered up. I'll see where it ends up, and I might have to take it up and repot it. However, it's growing in tiny patches all over my yard, so it's not a rarity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took five different sample of sphagnum from different places in my yard. They were different heights. Some had thick root systems, others had none. I filled five dishes full of soil and soaked it, then drained excess water. I added one sphagnum sample to each one. They will be the first things to go into my greenhouse tomorrow!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if its got roots it aint sphagnum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty much how I culture mine, minus the soil. It's incredibly useful to grow for a variety of purposes. Plus, it just looks cool.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast