What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live Sphagnum?

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
I love the look of live sphagnum, but I'm not sure how it can be achieved. Can you bring brown sphagnum back to life? If so, what is the best method for doing this? ???

Thanks!! :)

Yes, but it takes a while. Dry Sphagnum will rehydrates when kept very wet and sprout new growths within a few months.

Personally, I enjoy collecting and cultivating different species of Sphagnum that I find in the wild. I take a few springs from each species I find, just enough to allow it to grow back within a few months.

Lucky! Too bad there arent any spagnum fields in california :(

I've still got a little bit of LFS available.

Yes, but it takes a while. Dry Sphagnum will rehydrates when kept very wet and sprout new growths within a few months.

Personally, I enjoy collecting and cultivating different species of Sphagnum that I find in the wild. I take a few springs from each species I find, just enough to allow it to grow back within a few months.

Sounds good. I have a few spare strands that fell out of my nep's pot, so I'll dip them in RO and stick those in a ziplock bag in my temporary nep growing terrarium. Hopefully I can start my own grow. :banana2:

Lucky! Too bad there arent any spagnum fields in california :(

I found some on my lawn. Not sure if it's sphagnum or some other native species. It's thinner than common sphagnum, but it looks very similar. It's stubbier and pulls out of the ground pretty easy. It's growing right where I'm going to put my greenhouse. :)

1z55dfo.jpg

atrxhw.jpg

So is it the real deal? :-O

I've still got a little bit of LFS available.

I'll probably be venturing to some local nurseries in the next while, so if I can't find any, I'll keep you in mind. Do you have a website?

My domain name has expired. So not currently.. but I can be found here 24/7.

My domain name has expired. So not currently.. but I can be found here 24/7.

Great. I'll let you know if I can't find any locally. :)

Yup, that's Sphagnum. There's no way I can ID it because the growth head is way too small.

I was about to say, there are definitely Sphagnum bogs in California, they're just in the northern part.

Yup, that's Sphagnum. There's no way I can ID it because the growth head is way too small.

I was about to say, there are definitely Sphagnum bogs in California, they're just in the northern part.

Awesome! Do California sphagnum mosses go dormant during certain seasons?

They should during winter if kept outside. I've noticed the Sphagnum doesn't slow down as much as vascular plants in cold weather. It doesn't need consistent dormancies from my experiences either.

They should during winter if kept outside. I've noticed the Sphagnum doesn't slow down as much as vascular plants in cold weather. It doesn't need consistent dormancies from my experiences either.

Well, I just noticed them today when capping off a sprinkler. It's winter and they're outside. If they are dormant, then they definitely don't turn brown during dormancy, which is good. I'll put them in my new greenhouse when it's set up and I'll see how they do. :)

Sphagnum rarely browns during dormancy, which makes it very easy to find this time of year. I'd leave a little patch of it next to the greenhouse, just to keep a natural setting for it.

Sphagnum rarely browns during dormancy, which makes it very easy to find this time of year. I'd leave a little patch of it next to the greenhouse, just to keep a natural setting for it.

It's growing right where I'm going to put the greenhouse. Not sure if it will end up next to it or inside of it. If it ends up inside, it will more than likely be covered up. I'll see where it ends up, and I might have to take it up and repot it. However, it's growing in tiny patches all over my yard, so it's not a rarity. :)

I took five different sample of sphagnum from different places in my yard. They were different heights. Some had thick root systems, others had none. I filled five dishes full of soil and soaked it, then drained excess water. I added one sphagnum sample to each one. They will be the first things to go into my greenhouse tomorrow! :)

if its got roots it aint sphagnum

:p

That's pretty much how I culture mine, minus the soil. It's incredibly useful to grow for a variety of purposes. Plus, it just looks cool.

if its got roots it aint sphagnum

:p

Whhaaaa? Oh well, it's pretty moss! :p

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

That's pretty much how I culture mine, minus the soil. It's incredibly useful to grow for a variety of purposes. Plus, it just looks cool.

Well, since what I have in growing in my yard, I assumed soil would be beneficial. ???

Technically if it has roots then it isn't a moss at all. That being said moss do have rhizoids, which look like roots.

Technically if it has roots then it isn't a moss at all. That being said moss do have rhizoids, which look like roots.

They weren't buried in the soil at all. They were just white little roots. I'll get some pictures tomorrow. :)

Back