Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorry to hear about the fire, that is sad news!

I hope your new years goes a lot better.

What kind of lights and setup were you using? Do you think the fire was caused by your lights? I'm interested to know the details, this could be a learning experience for all of us who grow in confined, flammable places.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DK,
    When you have some free time, create a rough wishlist so we can start to propagate &/or label spare plants (& yes - we all know this is probably your lowest priority right now - so obviously no rush...). Give us an idea of what you might want (or are able to grow - HL/LL). I don't want to propagate a Mexican ping if you hate pings or a Heli if you can't do HL conditions or a D. ordensis if you can't do LL, etc, etc, etc ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Aaron (Droserakid),
    that sounds like a real Christmas event you won't soon forget!

A fire like that is always a terrible thing. And it is amazing that like you said, nothing of your girlfriend's things were wercked at all! Extremely lucky for her, especially since smoke & water damage would normally destroy most everything in the place.
    In fact you are lucky that you didn't lose everything altogether!
    To have flames encompass over an entire wall like what you described, usually means total disaster, especially if it was that bad while you were in there to see it, before the fire department even got there. And that it took the fire department 5 hours to put the thing out means it amazingly didn't do the damage that fires like that usually do.

To have the fire burning the walls like what you described, without more damage to the place is a real miracle! You don't know how unbelievably lucky you are! I have seen fire situations as you describe, and you don't realize just how amazing it is to only have the small amount of damage that you did. The smoke & water damage alone takes its toll even rooms away & thru closed doors (especially on things like womens clothing!), so from the sound of it, she indeed had a real Christmas miracle happen! For as bad as all this sounds, you don't realize how fortunate you have been thru this!

It does seem like you were able to save a good bit of your plant collection however, as when we (you & I) were working up a trade this past month, I know you didn't have a lot of CP's to begin with. From the sound of it however, you were able to save the nep you originally had, along with some of the dews & other plants I sent you. Too bad if all those sundew babies didn't make it, as there had to be a ton of little plants there... Do hope the "Ivan's Paddle" & some of the more desirable plants made it however, and not just the Capensis.

On a side note...I'm glad to hear that your son is apparently feeling better... no more trips to the hospital I assume... (you mentioned it to me how sick he was recently). I hope he is doing well now.

Well again, sorry to hear about the disaster. Fire is one of the most horrible things to go thru, especially in the winter time. But from the sound of it (to look for the silver lining) you may not have actually lost that much to begin with, and in fact you may be able to come out ahead in the long run as far as plants are concerned. (Gotta see the bright side in things!)

Seeing that many of the plants you had thru the fire seem to be the same plants I just sent you a month ago, it's not like you are losing plants that you spent much money on nor spent a lot of time tending to & nurturing. And from the look of things, many people have taken sympathy on your situation and are perhaps willing to help you out. (Now that is a silver lining!)

Since sending you as much free stuff as I already did however, I don't have anything left to share with you!... But it is nice of everyone who offered to help you out. It indeed shows the integrity of some of the people here. In fact it is things like this that reveal a lot about people.

Well good luck to you in rebuilding, and to everyone involved in wanting to help. As someone I think already mentioned, no matter what else may be lost, keep in mind that the important thing is that everyone is safe!

Paul
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good God man.. at least everyone is okay. I've lived through a serious house fire, so I know how you must be feeling. And believe me, it could've been a lot LOT worse. Plants can be replaced. There's enough generosity around here that you'll be back on your feet in no time.
    Any sort of renter's insurance?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed it is a concern to all of us running set-ups, as to the cause of the fire.
    It is something we all are aware of the potential of, and often worry about.

Be sure to let us know what the cause actually was,
    and do post some pics of things.

It would be interesting for many of us here to see what the affects can be under the circumstances,
    and could act as a warning & education for people to be especially careful.
    This is something none of us want to have happen.
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh

Sorry to hear about that.
    I should be able to spare some drosera seeds to you if you are interested.

Let me know and good luck with everything!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about this horrible news. I mean I guess it's good news that no one got hurt, but still that sucks. So are you able to live there still or did they boot you? In any case that's gotta suck. I must admit I worry about something going wrong with one of my lights someday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any pics of the aftermath? Kind of interested in seeing the damage, and rebuilding process.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast