Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Swords' Photo Threat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! The eddies are now finally going to surpass the size they were when they arrived (2 1/2 - 3"). They arrived all green and then turned blood red and the leaves grew in thicker and at half size and then slowly worked their way back up in size. Hopefully the one wanting to form next to the rim will stay above the moss and I can get a good pic of the pitchers. They like to bury themselves with just the opening and lid poking up from the moss.

This is a look at my setup in summer:

A Zoomed Hygrotherm controller for cooling fan and humidifier

B Hygrotherm display settings in this pic 95% RH and 71*F

C Ultrasonic humidifier

D 4" PC fan blowing into a 4" aluminum duct hangs on a room fan until night time when I hang the fan directly infront of the AC. This way even when the hygrotherm isn't triggering the cooling fan there is a slight breeze wafting through the HL enclosure. Just enough to ruffle the humboldtii leaves.

E I only do this exact AC setup in summer (in a warm climate I would likely have to do this year round), in winter the fan is simply mounted with two screws to the wooden window frame, I adjust the temp by opening and closing the window based on how cold it is outside. In subzero temps I don't have to open the window even a crack, the surface temp of the glass is cold enough to drop the tank to 40-50*F. As outdoor temps rise I open the window by varying amounts from just open a half inch to full open in late spring. I use a piece of wood to cover the other 14" of the open window leaving just the area for the fan open so the house doesn't get cold.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks very much Swords. You have given me various points that I can fix in my setup. But first, since I don't want to risk drilling in my glass and I need to get air in, I will have to fabricate a air inlet tube that has to work in a convoluted way. I am trying to draw up plans for it today and perhaps start working on it this weekend. Now that even my villosa's growth point has died, I guess it truly is a fresh start and I might as well not cheap out and get the zilla hygrotherm. My setup is almost exactly yours but I keep the window open and it is direct fresh air in.

Btw...what lighitng do you use? T5? how many? at what distance?

thanks again

Varun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this setup I'm using 4x 54 watt T5 HO lamps, the lights are about 18-20" above the plants depending on plant size, some like the vining N. gymnamphora x dubia and N. thorelii x aristo are closer. I'm going to be building a new larger HL chamber in spring and I will be adding another 2-4 lamps depending on how large I end up making it.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Swords. I guess that is the sweet spot for these lights. Well, now that I have 8 tube T5, I think I should get enough light at 30-40".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK some more pictures finally:

N. gymnaphora x dubia getting ready to open a new one, closer to uppers but not yet though. This plant is vining now an has at least a basal and maybe two.

Exotica Plants' remake of N. Ventricosa (K) x alata

The N. thorelii x aristolochioides is vining and finally making some nice ones:

My Utricularia longifolia is blooming after having it for years, all i did was change the lighting by 1/2 hour longer or so... LOL

Wistuba N. hamata Clone 1 got shocked by the new lights and put out a basal:

Here's a couple pitchers from the two N. inermis plants from Wistuba, well on their way to vining:

Here's the tissue cultured N. edwardsiana I received from Wistuba last week:

In comparison here's my two seed grown ones that I've been growing since last year around this time. They are both in 6" net pots:

SG1

SG2 this one has been consistently slower and smaller than SG1 so I'm curious if this is a charachteristic of female Neps. Time will tell I suppose....

Thanks for looking at this little update.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long time no update! I love your plants, how often do your eddies put out a leaf?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My pleasure. Everything looks great.. you keep posting and I shall keep looking.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome as always. Envious, as usual.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast