What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kyle's Carnivorous Basement Adventures [Picture HEAVY]

:comp:Double posted! Oops!
(Screwed up the 1st time where it posted only part of what I wrote!)
:headwall: Bad computer! Bad! Bad! Bad Computer! :comp:

@GrowinOld: Hahahaha. I read your additions and want to thank you again for all the input and advice. And I, for one, have nothing wrong with a wall of text. I tend to get pretty wordy myself. XP

In other news, I finished it up and got a video of it, but YouTube is being lame. Keeps stopping the upload partway through. Oh well, no video I guess. Maybe I'll try again another time.

But now I've got a ton more gemmae to get situated. Hoo boy, another night of micro-potting. XD

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Taking a break while some media gets nuked, and youtube decided it wanted to be nice. So here it is!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rQNmZuVzHEM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

very nice set up! looks like whatever's going in there is gonna get tons of pamper.
just a note of caution concerning orchidoides---they like to send runners. if you're using net pots, contamination can happen easily. do keep that in mind.

otherwise, sweeeeet.

Thanks, Jon. I am using net pots, and I was aware of that from the thread on them. Some of those pictures make me laugh. XD I'll have to keep an eye on them, for sure. I might figure something else out, though. Like wrapping each pot in a pantyhose. Plenty airflow still, but nothing should make its way out. Only time will tell what's what!

Sweet stuff dude, where did you get those net pots? I looked for some affordable square net pots and came up empty handed so I just ordered round ones.

Thanks, Drew. I got the pots here, the link for which I got from one of Butch's posts.

Thanks for the link. OUCH on the price though, Ill stick with my $0.40 round pots hahah.

Check out the local hydroponics stores for those net style pots, sometimes they are very inexpensive.

And Kyle, I agree about the sound of the water.
When people are over they really are amazed when they hear it raining in a terrarium!
If only I could make it thunder! :-D

That is one serious setup you have. Great stuff.

@GrowinOld: Oh, I totally intend to set something up at some point down the line. No joke. I'm going to have speakers hooked up to a thunderstorm soundtrack, a strobe that randomly lights... all the pumps will kick on at once, maybe have an extra fogger just for this that also kicks on... For all intensive purposes, I intend to simulate a thunderstorm in the GH. Some day when I have a couple hundred extra dollars laying around to accomplish this. XD But seriously, I want to at some point, and I think it'd be soo awesome. Especially at night. I am also going to hook up a few low-light LEDs to simulate moonlight at night (not because I think it'll benefit the plants, just because I like going in there at all hours of the night and I'd like to be able to see without kicking all the bright lights on). Can you imagine being in there at night, with the simulated moonlight, and suddenly a thunderstorm kicks in? Way too cool, haha.

@nightsky: Thank ya!

Nice!

Drew, just get a hole punch...

How about I send you the pots and a hole punch and you punch em for me, Ill even pay ;) 75 pots later I think you might retract that statement hahahah

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!?!?!?
I missed alllllllllll of this?!?!?!
*faints*
great shots, all your plants are *super* nice, too!!! :laaa:

Hahaha, Liz. Thanks you two, really appreciate the comments.

Utricularia sandersonii "Blue"
1%20(14).png

1%20(15).png

Pinguicula primuliflora
1%20(12).png

1%20(13).png

Pinguicula moctezumae
1%20(7).png

Pinguicula 'Titan'
1%20(8).png

Drosera dielsiana
1%20(2).png

1%20(3).png

Nepenthes ventricosa
1%20(4).png

Nepenthes alba
1%20(9).png

Nepenthes inermis x bongso
1%20(10).png

Nepenthes spectabilis x aristolochioides
1%20(11).png

Drosera capensis with friends (aphids... they got the imidacloprid smackdown today)
1%20(6).png

My first orchid
1%20(5).png

Some other miscellaneous pictures:

Nepenthes 'Miranda' uppers
1%20(17).png

1%20(18).png

My first Ping pullings that actually worked, thanks to Mach
1%20(1).png

Finally got the RO unit installed in the basement
1%20(16).png

FINALLY! I've been waiting all day lol. Everything looks great, loving the aristo hybrid.

Holy aphids Batman! Great pic of them though..

Great pictures!

It seems like D. capensis just can't keep aphids away... It's the only plant I've had that regularly or maybe even ever has had problems with aphids... Happens every year!

Back