What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kyle's Carnivorous Basement Adventures [Picture HEAVY]

agreed! glad you calibrated! the difference is amazing!

Agreed! those pics are fantastic!

Congrats on the Stylidium flower. :p

@lime: LOL, yeah, it's about time, eh?

Thanks, everyone.

Thank ya much, everyone, I really appreciate all the comments.

@mobile: Canon T1i with a Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM. These are the cheapy tubes I'm using. Very high quality for the price, IMO. Solid aluminum construction, very well machined.

@Drew: f/14. Thanks again for pointing out the preview button!

Holy cow! I was worried you were going to say a camera that costs a billion dollars. I have a T1i, and a 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM. I think extension tubes are in my near future! Those pics are beautiful. Wow.

Last edited:
That first pubescens pic is money!

Thanks, TENroaches and Monkey.

@TENroaches: I rarely use the tubes, actually. Just when I want to get in realllyyyyy close on a tiny subject. But yeah, for ten bucks, they're more than worth having. And, yeah, the T1i is a pretty solid body. Love it.

Thanks, TENroaches and Monkey.

@TENroaches: I rarely use the tubes, actually. Just when I want to get in realllyyyyy close on a tiny subject. But yeah, for ten bucks, they're more than worth having. And, yeah, the T1i is a pretty solid body. Love it.

I got my tubes yesterday. I imagine you use a tripod (or rest the camera on something else stationary) when you use the tubes, and either move the subject into focus or use the focus ring on the lens. I knew I couldn't adust aperture (I'll do the trick with DOF preview) or Auto Focus, but it's sad to find out I can't use my remote with the tubes. I'll have to just use the delayed shutter.

I was all set to go outside and try to find some slow-moving bugs, and it started raining. Ah well, at least my plants are happy. :-D

So I bought a Canon nifty fifty (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II) and decided why not get a 58mm - 52mm reversing ring as well to try out some extreme macro photography. Man, am I impressed. The nifty fifty is a legendary lens because it has incredible glass for extremely cheap, so I figured pairing it with my 100mm f/2.8 macro would still give me incredible quality, and it did. The magnification is crazy. Then I decided to ALSO throw on 35mm of cheapy extension tubes to pump up the magnification even more. Below are some of the results, as well as some pictures with just the 100mm macro.

The following shots are of a plant I got labeled as U. welwitschii, but after a little talking with Ron, I'm pretty sure it's U. warburgii.

Also, all of these are uncropped. I failed to save them properly in Photoshop, so the backgrounds on most aren't pure black. But I kinda like it anyway, lol.

Canon 50mm f/1.8 at closest focusing distance:
1%20(6).png

Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro at closest focusing distance (1x magnification):
1%20(7).png

Canon 100mm f/2.8 and Canon 50mm f/1.8 stacked on the end at closest focusing distance (2x magnification):
1%20(8).png

Canon 100mm f/2.8 and Canon 50mm f/1.8 stacked on the end WITH 35mm of extension tubes (2.4x magnification):
1%20(9).png

The following set of examples is of D. spatulata x capensis.

Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro at closest focusing distance (1x magnification):
1%20(11).png

Canon 100mm f/2.8 and Canon 50mm f/1.8 stacked on the end at closest focusing distance (2x magnification):
1%20(1).png

Canon 100mm f/2.8 and Canon 50mm f/1.8 stacked on the end WITH 35mm of extension tubes (2.4x magnification):
1%20(12).png

The following are of a small leaf on P. 'Titan'.

1%20(18).png

1%20(19).png

And that's enough of the comparisons. My verdict on the nifty fifty: It's an absolutely fantastic lens on its own, extremely good bang for your buck; but pair it with a macro and it becomes something incredible. So, so, so happy with that purchase. I literally could not be happier.

On with the rest of the pictures.

D. dichrosepala subsp. enodes "Scott's River":
1%20(20).png

1%20(21).png

P. 'Titan':
1%20(17).png

The stalk of a Stylidium debile flower at 2.4x; flower's at top right. Focus was off, whoops, but it shows detail you simply can't see with the naked eye:
1%20(10).png

D. adelae flowers:
1%20(13).png

1%20(16).png

1%20(14).png

1%20(15).png

What I got labeled as U. welwitschii, but I've decided is more likely U. warburgii:
1%20(2).png

1%20(3).png

1%20(4).png

1%20(5).png

:0o: ......................... those are....some of the best CP pics I've ever seen....almost microscopic levels of zoom there....

Freakishly good pics man... Serious envy. You are a great photographer.

:blush: Thanks, you guys. I really, really appreciate it.

Love the D. Adelae flowers. Great pictures.

Wow! Mega jealous of your lenses. :D Beautiful plants, too! Now if we could see the entire plant. x3

Cool Stylidium pic.
My pots are just starting to wake up.

Back