Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, good permanent marker then

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it's just me but I think the labels give a bit of uniformity in a setup of CP madness
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use graphite, it's archival.
    With the terrarium I'm planning there won't be any labels, mostly because of all of the epiphytes. I'll be making a map instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use nametags. I agree it makes everything look cluttered. Besides, I look at my plants alot each day to know which ones are which
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    I don't use nametags. I agree it makes everything look cluttered. Besides, I look at my plants alot each day to know which ones are which
    I used to think the same thing until I forgot what one was, that was the end of that. Wait until you have more plants/clones and you will start forgetting which is which and you will wish you had labelled them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 31drew31 View Post
    I used to think the same thing until I forgot what one was, that was the end of that. Wait until you have more plants/clones and you will start forgetting which is which and you will wish you had labelled them.
    Size & diversity of a collection obviously matters. If I have one B52 VFT, I'm not likely to get it confused with much. Once you start getting more plants (location clones, etc), differentiating them, especially after a long vacation or a semester of college, becomes more of an issue. Sadly, many of us must experience the terrible moment when we realize that we may no longer be sure which is which. Things can change quickly - a friend who had never had a girlfriend suddenly found himself head over heels. His collection took a back seat and by the time he realized it, he was lost.

As Wireman noted, some very aesthetically-critical setups (like over here ) really won't work with visible tags - so mapping may be the best option ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

PNW: Lowlands of Puget Sound, WA-USA in a frost pocket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having worked in botanic gardens, I agree that sometimes displays can look like a collection of tags rather than plants. It is not something that you can easily get agreement on amongst interested parties. If it is a display of some “pretty plants” that have no other significant value like location data or differential clone information we often didn’t tag them at all. However, where it is important not to lose the connection between the plant and the information I’ve moved to double tagging, burying a tag with the accession number (quicker to make) or with some details written out at the bottom of the pot. I have had unfortunate experiences at botanic gardens, nurseries and personal collections where small unattended children come walking up to proudly show the parents their collection of tags and it is upsetting to say the least. Birds have caused trouble with “shiny” metal pot labels on occasion. Old labels snap off and end up being picked up and put back incorrectly by well meaning visitors or volunteers. In flats, even typically careful and knowledgeable individuals can stick the tag back into the adjacent pot. I always match up the buried tag and the visible tag when transplanting. Buried tag has precedence in case of discrepancy. In a display bed or large mixed pot, I place the label piece right under the rhizome so when it is eventually dug to more or divide, that tag is right there. I toyed with the idea of using RFID tags (radio frequency id) on self guided tours which would have been essentially invisible but at the time we didn’t have the funds to move forward.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have build a couple of burning handheld lasers all this talk about fading sharpies makes me want to start burning the names in to the name tags

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast