What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

getting rid of name tags

• Thread starter jack
  • Start date
Why keep id tags with your plants? Would it not be just as easy to keep all that info. on your computer? You could even map them on your computer so you don't get the plants mixed up. Getting rid of those name tags sure would make many of your collections more attractive. Jack

If you don't like the look stuff the tag down below the level of the soil. Actually in some cases this is a good idea as it keeps the tags from getting brittle and marker from fading.

Getting rid of them just sounds like a really bad plan. Seriously you think you can keep plants identified in the long term (years/decades) without ID tags and not get anything confused? Isn't there enough misidentified stuff out there already? Asking for trouble imo

Actually, I like the way the name tags look. :)

cp-nov2011-ventxham001.jpg

Last edited:
If you don't like the look stuff the tag down below the level of the soil. Actually in some cases this is a good idea as it keeps the tags from getting brittle and marker from fading.

This is exactly what I do because I also hate the look of tags everywhere.

Example, these are all flush, or close to flush with the top of the pot.

4a788df2.jpg

I'm with Brokken. Kinda like it. Makes it look like I actually know what I'm doing when guests see them! XD

when i've got a handful of plants that i am personally interested in, sure, that make plenty of sense. but for those whose collection consists of hundreds to thousands of plants, those tags sure come in handy. no database can account for that---flux of trades out and in, receiving new plants, crossing plants, lose a tag, and you can potentially lose a valuable plant.

-take for example someone who grows 15-16 different clones of moorei, and also happens to have an 'adrian slack', and a friend comes over, takes a look at the slack and puts it next along with the other moorei clones, and there are no tags....that is a sad story.

Hm, I've heard of people printing out labels and sticking them on the rim of the pots, or just writing on the pots with sharpies.
But personally, I like tags. If your collection is tiny and full of distinct plants, you could get away with it if you kept just a computer database....but there's no way even a computer map would ever suffice for keeping track. They're good for planning, but that's it.

What I am mostly talking about is when displaying plants, not in the cultivating of them. When you see a nicely planted display and see all the name tags, to me, it just looks messy. To each there own. Jack

I have often toyed with the idea of putting "dog tags" on the Sarrs in my bog. The tags do distract, so i usually shove the label down as far as I dare, without it getting buried and lost.

Never a good idea to get rid of them totally. Go below soil level if you dont like them. And another pet peev. Don't send a plant out with no label......I have gotten 6 different neps in one box before with NO labels. It doesn't help the original owner new the plants by sight. Doesn't do me any good. I have an 8x8 green house that id getting full. I cant remember them all.

I don't use tags in mythe sarracenia displays, and have a terrible time telling the difference between leucophylla titan, tarnok, typical. Big mistake. Especially if they don't flower due to springtime hail storms lol

Hm, I've heard of people printing out labels and sticking them on the rim of the pots, or just writing on the pots with sharpies.
Sharpies are a horrible. There are many horror stories - someone pots their plants - marks them with sharpie & notices later that they have all faded & they can't tell many of the plants apart. :0o:

One of the best approaches is Brother P-Touch labels. There are several threads about them - you can label either a marker or the pot & they are quite indestructible.

The organization-freak in me likes to have them all labeled, but aesthetically I hate seeing tags sticking all over the place, so I do what Tony said - cut them down and bury them a bit.

Never, ever use a Sharpie if you expect to read your labels six months down the road. I have used the Artline Garden Markers for over ten years now and the plastic pot tags degrade from UV exposure long before the marker writing fades. I have a few that are 8 years old now and still entirely readable.

I find plain ol' #2 pencil works very well (on a light colored tag) -- definitely far better than a Sharpie. Been using this on my orchid tags for years.

i started using an old fashion label maker and label all my pots

:blush: Well, good permanent marker then :p

Maybe it's just me but I think the labels give a bit of uniformity in a setup of CP madness ;)

I use graphite, it's archival.
With the terrarium I'm planning there won't be any labels, mostly because of all of the epiphytes. I'll be making a map instead.

I don't use nametags. I agree it makes everything look cluttered. Besides, I look at my plants alot each day to know which ones are which

Back