Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: getting rid of name tags

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

getting rid of name tags

Why keep id tags with your plants? Would it not be just as easy to keep all that info. on your computer? You could even map them on your computer so you don't get the plants mixed up. Getting rid of those name tags sure would make many of your collections more attractive. Jack
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't like the look stuff the tag down below the level of the soil. Actually in some cases this is a good idea as it keeps the tags from getting brittle and marker from fading.

Getting rid of them just sounds like a really bad plan. Seriously you think you can keep plants identified in the long term (years/decades) without ID tags and not get anything confused? Isn't there enough misidentified stuff out there already? Asking for trouble imo
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I like the way the name tags look.

Last edited by Brokken; 01-08-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    If you don't like the look stuff the tag down below the level of the soil. Actually in some cases this is a good idea as it keeps the tags from getting brittle and marker from fading.
    This is exactly what I do because I also hate the look of tags everywhere.

Example, these are all flush, or close to flush with the top of the pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Brokken. Kinda like it. Makes it look like I actually know what I'm doing when guests see them! XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when i've got a handful of plants that i am personally interested in, sure, that make plenty of sense. but for those whose collection consists of hundreds to thousands of plants, those tags sure come in handy. no database can account for that---flux of trades out and in, receiving new plants, crossing plants, lose a tag, and you can potentially lose a valuable plant.

-take for example someone who grows 15-16 different clones of moorei, and also happens to have an 'adrian slack', and a friend comes over, takes a look at the slack and puts it next along with the other moorei clones, and there are no tags....that is a sad story.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, I've heard of people printing out labels and sticking them on the rim of the pots, or just writing on the pots with sharpies.
    But personally, I like tags. If your collection is tiny and full of distinct plants, you could get away with it if you kept just a computer database....but there's no way even a computer map would ever suffice for keeping track. They're good for planning, but that's it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I am mostly talking about is when displaying plants, not in the cultivating of them. When you see a nicely planted display and see all the name tags, to me, it just looks messy. To each there own. Jack
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast