User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too many animals?? How many is too many??

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Too many animals?? How many is too many??

My wife and I were cleaning some animal cages last night when I realized we live in a zoo. Haha. Here's our list, what do you have? How many is too many?

1 Dog -Lhasa-poo named Daisy
    Severus the California Kingsnake
    Koopa the Russian Tortoise
    3 Hermit Crabs
    2 crested geckos - Brownie and Blondie
    3 freshwater aquariums - 1 50 gallon and 2 5.5 gallon

Plus my plant collection. Man this will be a pain when we move someday.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They say in Animal Hoarders: "If you have to ask if you have too many, you have too many"
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have too many. 3 dogs and 2 cats and i'm not an animal lover. Still find myself feeding them most of the time.

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watch animal hoarders all the time. Such sad situations sometimes. Fortunately none of our animals are breeding uncontrollably, and I'd like to think we take outstanding care of them. If I start finding dead and sickly animals around, then I know a problem is afoot.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your dog an outside dog DJ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too many = However many you have space, time, and money for!
    As long as you have time for your own life, and are able to live responsibly (provide well, pay your bills, have even a small savings), and the animals have all the space they need and are well-cared for, then you don't have too many. Some people don't have the space or time for more than one cat, so even two cats would be too many. Other people have way more space and money and time, and can have more cats or a wide variety of animals.
    It's the same concept with plants, some can only have a balcony full, or a small tank, others can have a greenhouse(s) :P For instance, I have the space for a greenhouse, but not the money. Even if I saved for one, I couldn't afford to maintain it, and if I could, well...right now I have more important things that should (and will be) saved for.

Also, I love your choice of names.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many = More than you can care for and afford to take to the vet if needed. Also you should be able to keep your house very clean with them.

And thats not too many. In regards to animals in tanks, reptile enthusiasts sometimes have MANY MANY MORE!!

You have 7 tanks. I have 3 atm. However I would think fish are less demanding? But ya thats nothing. Peolpe have shelves and racks of geckos and snakes and such... Cool pets btw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Dooms: It depends on the fish. I had a 75 gallon river monster growout thing, planning on getting a pond, and uh, that tank was hell to upkeep. I miss the fish, not the work :P A betta in a cute little tank with a tiny filter is probably way more manageable :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast