What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too many animals?? How many is too many??

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
My wife and I were cleaning some animal cages last night when I realized we live in a zoo. Haha. Here's our list, what do you have? How many is too many?

1 Dog -Lhasa-poo named Daisy
Severus the California Kingsnake
Koopa the Russian Tortoise
3 Hermit Crabs
2 crested geckos - Brownie and Blondie
3 freshwater aquariums - 1 50 gallon and 2 5.5 gallon

Plus my plant collection. Man this will be a pain when we move someday.

They say in Animal Hoarders: "If you have to ask if you have too many, you have too many" :D

I have too many. 3 dogs and 2 cats and i'm not an animal lover. Still find myself feeding them most of the time.

I watch animal hoarders all the time. Such sad situations sometimes. Fortunately none of our animals are breeding uncontrollably, and I'd like to think we take outstanding care of them. If I start finding dead and sickly animals around, then I know a problem is afoot.

Is your dog an outside dog DJ?

Not too many = However many you have space, time, and money for! :p
As long as you have time for your own life, and are able to live responsibly (provide well, pay your bills, have even a small savings), and the animals have all the space they need and are well-cared for, then you don't have too many. Some people don't have the space or time for more than one cat, so even two cats would be too many. Other people have way more space and money and time, and can have more cats or a wide variety of animals.
It's the same concept with plants, some can only have a balcony full, or a small tank, others can have a greenhouse(s) :p For instance, I have the space for a greenhouse, but not the money. Even if I saved for one, I couldn't afford to maintain it, and if I could, well...right now I have more important things that should (and will be) saved for.

Also, I love your choice of names. :laaa:

Too many = More than you can care for and afford to take to the vet if needed. Also you should be able to keep your house very clean with them.

And thats not too many. In regards to animals in tanks, reptile enthusiasts sometimes have MANY MANY MORE!!

You have 7 tanks. I have 3 atm. However I would think fish are less demanding? But ya thats nothing. Peolpe have shelves and racks of geckos and snakes and such... Cool pets btw

@Dooms: It depends on the fish. I had a 75 gallon river monster growout thing, planning on getting a pond, and uh, that tank was hell to upkeep. I miss the fish, not the work :p A betta in a cute little tank with a tiny filter is probably way more manageable :p

I have CPs and a frog named frogface - they're both *too many* when I have to go on travel for work for 2 weeks. Liz is right - it all just depends on your situation.

My husband doesn't consider our animal pets to be too many;
Cutter..the elderly lab/corgi cross dog
Captain..the maine coon cat
Morgan..the siamese cross cat
iceman..the pony who I claim partial ownership to

What he does consider overboard and hoarding are all the indoor orchids and CP's, the two barrel bogs, the six minibogs, the large herb garden and the veggie patch

My husband doesn't consider our animal pets to be too many;
Cutter..the elderly lab/corgi cross dog
Captain..the maine coon cat
Morgan..the siamese cross cat
iceman..the pony who I claim partial ownership to

What he does consider overboard and hoarding are all the indoor orchids and CP's, the two barrel bogs, the six minibogs, the large herb garden and the veggie patch

But the garden and vegetables provide food for the people :) Insects to feed the plants also, but :p

Avicularia versicolor 0.0.1
Brachypelma smithii 0.1.0
Grammastola rosea 0.1.0
Chromatopelma cyanopubens 0.0.1
Psalmopoeus irminia 0.0.1
Steatoda grossa 0.1.?
Latrodectus variolus 0.1.0
Elaphe obsoleta 1.0.0
Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli 0.1.0
Anolis sagrei 0.0.1
Pandinus imperator 0.1.0
Centroides guanensis 0.1.1
Narceus americanus 0.2.1
Scolopendra subspinipes 0.0.1

During my hayday in the herp hobby as a teenager, I had hundreds of snakes and lizards packed into my bedroom.. THAT was too many. heh. But I still took them to the vet if it was needed, etc.. Just what happens when you have a job, and no bills or anything to pay while still living with your parents. lol.

Back