What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my plant thread

• Thread starter corky
  • Start date
I've never grown it but isn't it somewhat close to D.cistiflora ? Maybe splitting dormant roots would work.

I shall look into that.cheers for the tip.Do you actually split the root down the length

The roots of D.cistiflora sort of divide while in active growth and once they're dormant can be pulled apart and broken up a bit. I'm thinking D.hilaris may do a similar thing.

Cool,thanks

Your hilaris plants are looking good, Corky. Mine are still feebly sprouting out from their resting buds. An interesting thought to propagate them from dormant roots. I've found them easy to sprout from seed, once it has been heat-striated.

cheers Mark,i don't quite know what triggers them to start growing again,there is still one small plantlet in that pot that does not want to get growing ,it is stuck kind of in the resting bud but with one leaf out,the main plant was stuck like that for ages too

I've been at a 10 hour photo period, for mid-winter, but I've just increased it to 11 hours. Maybe that will make a difference.

i hope that works for you Mark,just a couple of pics,another attempt at getting a semi decent pic of my tillandsia flower n.flava has coloured up and i really like the subtle shades on the peristome my d.regia root cutting plantlets dramatic reaction to some powdered bloodworms and BINGO ,i finally managed to get d.cuneifolia leaf cuttings to strike and whilst my head was in the propagation tray i took a pic of some d.hamiltonia leaf cutting plantlets :-D

'Looking good, Corky. I have been struggling to keep my one D. cuneifolia alive but it is finally taking off for me. 'Sweet to have new propagants! I haven't had a good look at N. flava before. 'A nice-looking pitcher, for sure.

cheers Mark,a few pics,d.slackii starting to flower,this is a two year old plant from leaf cutting a little burb pitcher p.esseriana still putting on a great show and a couple of n.palawanensis seedlings and very pleased my NOID pygmy has produced gemmae :-D

Last edited:
D. slackii does well for me, but they never bloom. 'Nice job. Your P. esseriana is spectacular!

The esseriana flowers are beautiful. There are so many of them too!

cheers guys,can't beat some flowers:-D,Mark the D.slackii didn't even get that cold this winter as it was very mild.but it does have a natural photo period,gets down to between 8-9 hours light mid winter

Last edited:
Good growing! That Pinguicula is impressive, pretty flowers. : )

thanks limeslide,the esseriana has split and four plants are flowering in the pic, took a few pics this morning,spring is here and darlingtonia flowers are on the way, its only took a bit of sun for d.hilaris and d. cuneifolia to start getting the nice red pigment back into their leaves little ceph seedlings putting out their first pitchers n.truncata has put out a larger pitcher attenboroughii newest really like the patterns on burb lids d. hamiltonii and d.slackii :-D

Your D. cuneifolia is definitely more mature than mine is. That is a beautiful leaf. I really like all the sticky glands on the slackii flower stalk.

think this must be what happens when d.regia catches a frost and has not formed its winter bud, main growth point turned black but all is not lost as three or four new growth points are emerging ,i have another that also went black and hoping it will come back from its roots,a shame they got to be a good size last year first time darlingtonia has flowered for me and my cephs are flowering,this is a two year old plant from a leaf cutting this year i have managed to get p.cyclosecta through dormancy without killing it p.esseriana waking up and x tina and filiformis all red ,i had loads of these seedlings last year and only one seems to of survived,really hope a few more will appear:-D

Looking great! I like the picture angles, shows the plants off well.

I was trying to winter over a small D. regia plant and, unfortunately, we had more severe low temps this winter than normal. 'Makes me feel better to see yours coming back. I do have backups.

I like the shots of the Darlingtonia flowers.

Back