What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live LFS questions

mikefallen13

Mr. veitchii
All right, I'm going to be receiving some live LFS but it is a north American variety so will it be ok in my terrarium with no cold period during winter? And it was grown in a bog garden, so is there anything I should do before I put it in my terrarium? I know very little about live LFS so sorry about my noobish questions.

My understanding is that it will continue to grow as long as you give it growing conditions. Dormancy isn't necessary.

But again, that's just as far as I know, lol.

It depends on where the Sphagnum is from. Some populations/species need a cold period for long term growth. Some don't. I've had a small tub I use for propagating cuttings on my plant shelf for the past 5 years that has steadily and slowly declining. I put it outdoors in November in a shaded area and now it's getting nice and fluffy again.

I believe they got it from meadowview

That's probably going to be a Virginia population. Is it a specific species? We use native Sphagnum in our greenhouse all the time for Nepenthes and while raising Sarracenia seedlings. It can last quite a while without dormancy, a few years. You'll know when it starts to decline. When I notice it declining I place it outside around October so it doesn't go into shock. It will still grow throughout winter, surprisingly.

Once again since this will be my first time with live lfs, I have no idea of the species but it looks exactly like the green form in meadow views online catalog

Probably S. pallustre. The green stuff is harvested from behind Meadowview, so I know exactly what it is. S. pallustre seems to be the most common one around the state. We're going to be getting a bunch of Sphag IDed soon, so I'll let you know when we find out.

So it should be ok for a while and when it starts to decline I should just put it outside, correct?

Pretty much. It'll last a few years before it starts declining. I'm still working out the kinks on how to culture Sphag perfectly.

All right thanks for the help!!

Back