What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help: Growing LFS

I see people grow LFS in sphagnum moss so I want try. I add distilled water into dead long sphagnum moss and cover with a plastic wrap. After about a month, there are some green stuff in moss. I am not sure they are live moss or it's just fungi. How long does it take to see new leaves? From now on, do I need to cover with clear plastic wrap or open for air to get in. Please help.:wave:

See pictures:

lfs-2.jpg

looks like algae...it will take about 3 months before any growth is seen... dead sphagnum takes a while to start growing

my dead spag started growing after a month,i would suggest air circulation to cut down on mold,lfs is spag

Actually at-least some of those green areas look like young sphagnum. Keep it up. The very dark green areas could be algae.

Beware though if you increase circulation too much it will dry out your moss. There is plenty of info here on the forum regarding sphagnum growing conditions.

I have tried growing it in deep containers covered with saran wrap and holes poked in it (many holes) with success.

Keep it in a covered container with holes poked in the top for air circulation.

Thank all for your information. I will make many tiny holes for air circulation. Wish me luck !!!

This has inspired me to take better care of the sphag I'm trying to sprout. Did the green parts sprout separately from the main strands, or did the parts of the main strands just turn green? That's how some of mine looks right now, but they just turned green, so it might be algae instead. The dark green part on the left looks like algae to me. If it's slimy, it's probably algae. For some reason, some of my algae-covered sphag is slimy, but crisp. Hopefully yours will grow quickly so I can see an example to go by.

Thanks for sharing! :)

If they turn green it's algae. Dried Sphag will grow new sprouts from the stem.

I get Sphagnum to germinate most successfully when it is milled and kept humid.

I get Sphagnum to germinate most successfully when it is milled and kept humid.

I've read that a few times. Does that just maximize the surface area for it to sprout? I know that with some organisms that can be propagated, cutting them will encourage them to grow faster. Is that the reason? ???

It seems like it just germinates more easily. I have never gotten dead sphagnum to germinate if it is whole, but if it is milled in a seedling pot, it germinates within a few weeks.

Perhaps it releases more spores that are captured deep inside the LFS?

To mill it, I just grind it over a tennis racket when its dry.

Milling releases spores. Sphagnum is also a non vascular plant, so it can grow back from much simpler structures than vascular plants.

I went outside to the glass tank of sphagnum in my greenhouse and balled up the sphagnum, then twisted, repositioned it, twisted again, and so on. I would say the particles are now 1/10 of the size they used to be. I'll try the tennis racket idea. In my terrarium currently containing my neps, I have two little containers of dead sphagnum which have been kept very moist for the past few weeks. I ground those up to the consistency of pulp and I'll see what happens.

The sphagnum that is outside is currently experiencing 40F nights and 70F days with about two or three hours of sunlight. Would sprouting conditions be better there, or inside under a 40w 5000k ightbulb in 60F night temperatures and 70F day temperatures? So basically, temperature over lighting. And the moister might be able to control better inside. Any thoughts?

Update Long Fiber Sphagnum Moss

Update: after 2 months there are thousand of new tiny shoots.

lfs-01.jpg

lfs-02.jpg

Congrats!

Congratulations!

Keep it wet and you'll have a lot more. I'm about to start some massive propagation efforts with my collection.

Hey wireman.. I pm'ed you a couple times. Not sure if you got them.

BTW Tke his advice Wireman is a sphag beast lol

Many thanks for your kind words and comments. I'm happy to see tiny green shoots for a new spring season. I hope my first tiny Nep will be happy in lfsm too.

Here's my setup. It's in an aerogarden with tin foil around it on all sides.

Here is the whole thing:

6525ec33.jpg

Some small sprouts:

9ab6627c.jpg

And is this burnt or spores or whatever? It looks more black than brown:

d7e3c739.jpg

Will

Back