Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help: Growing LFS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help: Growing LFS

I see people grow LFS in sphagnum moss so I want try. I add distilled water into dead long sphagnum moss and cover with a plastic wrap. After about a month, there are some green stuff in moss. I am not sure they are live moss or it's just fungi. How long does it take to see new leaves? From now on, do I need to cover with clear plastic wrap or open for air to get in. Please help.

See pictures:

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like algae...it will take about 3 months before any growth is seen... dead sphagnum takes a while to start growing

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my dead spag started growing after a month,i would suggest air circulation to cut down on mold,lfs is spag

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually at-least some of those green areas look like young sphagnum. Keep it up. The very dark green areas could be algae.

Beware though if you increase circulation too much it will dry out your moss. There is plenty of info here on the forum regarding sphagnum growing conditions.

I have tried growing it in deep containers covered with saran wrap and holes poked in it (many holes) with success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep it in a covered container with holes poked in the top for air circulation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank all for your information. I will make many tiny holes for air circulation. Wish me luck !!!

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has inspired me to take better care of the sphag I'm trying to sprout. Did the green parts sprout separately from the main strands, or did the parts of the main strands just turn green? That's how some of mine looks right now, but they just turned green, so it might be algae instead. The dark green part on the left looks like algae to me. If it's slimy, it's probably algae. For some reason, some of my algae-covered sphag is slimy, but crisp. Hopefully yours will grow quickly so I can see an example to go by.

Thanks for sharing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they turn green it's algae. Dried Sphag will grow new sprouts from the stem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast