What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting Suspension

I have a 2 foot 48watt t5ho fixture (http://www.sunleaves.com/detail.asp?sku=SPJ102) and was just wondering how far above sundews should it be? Currently I have it hanging about one and a half feet above the surface where I was going to setup the plastic containers (I'm using the tray method)...

I was also wondering if a CP dealer sells a plant as potted (specifically with pygmy sundews, or sundews in general) does that mean that the substrate and size of the pot is good enough for the plant to stay in long-term?

you are probably fine...I have the same lamps and my Genlisea flowers are all over the bulbs, contacting them in several places.

Depends on the dews...there's a huge difference between a filiformis and the rosette species. Also, if you want to see some nice flowers you wont want them getting scorched by the lighting. For me I've seen flowerscapes get ruined when they got too close.

I have a 4 bulb T5HO (2 foot) fixture and at 6-7" that was the case. Now they are closer to 12" away and still retaining the nice coloration.

For the substrate I usually change it out. I've always gotten low quality peat that is compacted even when it's mixed with perlite...tends to lead to algae issues IME if it retains too much water.

I was actually worried about too little light for good coloration, I guess that's a good thing that it isn't...

Back