What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FYI Springtail control

I had some springtails in my CP pots, although they may be a food source, but decided to get rid of them as i was told by an entomologist that they feed on roots. Also my U. longifolia wasn't looking too healthy and I suspect the springtails had something to do with it.

Found out by chance that spraying a pesticide called Conserve was very effective. Only 1 spray and they were gone. Here's a quote from the manufacturer, " Spinosad, the active ingredient in Conserve, is derived from the fermentation of a naturally occurring organism, uniquely combining the efficacy of synthetic insecticides with the benefits of biological insect pest control products".

I wonder how well it works on aphids.

Spinosad is what I used to commit genocide on unfortunate blue springtails in my plant collection. Worked quick and had no effect on Pings, Drosera, Utrics, Cephalotus, VFT, Moss etc.

In my work, I find it very effective on thrips.

lol... I find it funny that while you guys are trying to get rid of springtails....I'm trying to find some to infest my baby Drosera pots ;) hahaha. But thanks for the heads up on a way to get rid of them if ever needed.

I usually see the corpses of these things randomly in my mini drosera forest.

lol... I find it funny that while you guys are trying to get rid of springtails....I'm trying to find some to infest my baby Drosera pots ;) hahaha. But thanks for the heads up on a way to get rid of them if ever needed.

I "started" my blue springtails colony by purchasing Cypress mulch from pet store place. It is always sold wet in there and is a perfect ground for these little guys. Blue springtails are actually beneficial and harmless to CPs, and they are cute too. Too bad I found out all that info after I Nuked the place...

I've got to admit that they're kinda cute for a bug....look at those eyes ooooooooh !

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/ae90/sdav834/?action=view&current=springtail.jpg

NICE shelf you built there!!!!

So, they're actually good?
How do I know that they're not eating the roots of my plants?

So, they're actually good?
How do I know that they're not eating the roots of my plants?

Look for this information online :) There is description of their feeding habits and such.

I let them stay on my plants and they havent done any noticable harm. Nothing has died because of them. I doubt they eat any living matter faster than it grows. They keep fungus at bay though which is nice. I let the white ones that came in my peat sray.. I nuke the peat everytime i repot but the old pots have some and they jump intot he new pots so its a win win since only they get in :)

Also my U. longifolia wasn't looking too healthy and I suspect the springtails had something to do with it.
I suggest you look elsewhere for the source of your issues w/ U. longifolia. It's difficult to imagine a horde of springtails being able to slow down a healthy U. longifolia (that's even assuming they do nibble on roots).

Last edited:
I love springtails. Such fun little guys to watch!

From what I understand, springtails eat fungus or decaying matter. They don't seem to harm my plants either, and they offer consistant food to my young seedlings :)

i like springtails too much to kill them. i saw a huge one in my terrarium once that was almost 4mm long (and yes, i measured it!) they're neat....

If they are low on their prefered food and there is a high population they might revert to eating roots...? I don't know. It might be worth more investigation/ observation.

Back