Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dried Live Sphagnum

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I traded for mine.. I wish I had a place to go collect but im in NYC so the best I can collect is some gravel or asphalt within an hour of driving

However, I have a good bunch of dried red sphag but it had spiderwebby things in it when i let it dry and i thought that was fungus but idk.. I might try to revive some of it to see if that crap happens again...

I am propagating it for use and trade though in the future so keep in touch if you're interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really good at finding Sphagnum. It's generally in flatwoods, or other low lying areas. It's common around wetlands and springs. Basically, the same area you'd CPs.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    I'm really good at finding Sphagnum. It's generally in flatwoods, or other low lying areas. It's common around wetlands and springs. Basically, the same area you'd CPs.
    Thanks. I'll let the person know exactly where to find it now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you shoulda taken me up on my offer of Sphagnum from my greenhouse ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I guess you shoulda taken me up on my offer of Sphagnum from my greenhouse ;-)
    Sorry, haha. Slipped my mind actually. But my friend said they would take twenty mega-sized ziplock bags and stuff them full. They would collect tons if they found a lot. I don't even think people who sell it commercially have that much. They didn't have that much at the nep store I shop at. I want loads of it. I'm planning to cover 2/3 of the greenhouse floor in live sphagnum if I can get enough, to keep up the humidity of course.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least 30 taxa of Sphagnum in North America are considered vulnerable, rare or endangered and may be protected by state or local laws.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    At least 30 taxa of Sphagnum in North America are considered vulnerable, rare or endangered and may be protected by state or local laws.
    Thanks for letting me know. I'll definitely have the person collecting look into the endangered species to make sure what I'm receiving isn't going to hurt the wild population.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Sorry, haha. Slipped my mind actually. But my friend said they would take twenty mega-sized ziplock bags and stuff them full. They would collect tons if they found a lot. :
    Whooahhh! I don't think it's a good idea to plunder any site for Sphagnum, regardless of how much there might be. To be discouraged, IMO. Learn to grow your own from a few thoughtfully collected samples, especially since you have not yet mastered the cultivation of it, by your own admission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast