Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dried Live Sphagnum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Whooahhh! I don't think it's a good idea to plunder any site for Sphagnum, regardless of how much there might be. To be discouraged, IMO. Learn to grow your own from a few thoughtfully collected samples, especially since you have not yet mastered the cultivation of it, by your own admission.
    This is what I do. I collect a single plug or sandwich size ziplock bag (depending on size of spread) and culture it like this;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aTPS...1&feature=plcp

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Whooahhh! I don't think it's a good idea to plunder any site for Sphagnum, regardless of how much there might be. To be discouraged, IMO. Learn to grow your own from a few thoughtfully collected samples, especially since you have not yet mastered the cultivation of it, by your own admission.
    You're right, I really shouldn't be taking so much from the wild population. It is in private property though. The guy collecting for me may not even find any. I'll tell him to be mindful of the population of sphagnum in the area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My person went down to their private farm and found a few patches of what they believe is sphagnum. Growing in stands, the growth points look like little pompoms, green/yellow-orange/brown. They've been told to leave a lot so that it can grow back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any pics of it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The live sphagnum I had outside in my greenhouse in a terrarium (where I kept it very moist) has turned tan in most areas, but the growth tips and a few others parts are green still. Some of the tips burnt. Not sure if it was light or humidity or heat or what. I moved them inside and put them around my neps, hoping they will spring back to life and surround my beloved plants with joy.

The really green piece you see has been in the terrarium for a while and it doing great. The rest of it is basically tan, but I would say about 1/10 of it is still green. Is there any chance I can bring it back to life? Is it done for?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123