Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dried Live Sphagnum

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dried Live Sphagnum

My beloved live sphagnum dried out almost completely over just two days in a 75% humidity greenhouse. How that is possible is beyond me, but when I got to it a moment ago, it was almost dry. It was very slightly moist, but very crisp. Some parts are still green, but the growth tips aren't as soft anymore. So how will I know if it is dead or alive? Will it turn completely brown when dead?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its dead it will be brown in a day or two. Same thing has happened to me before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    My beloved live sphagnum dried out almost completely over just two days in a 75% humidity greenhouse. How that is possible is beyond me, but when I got to it a moment ago, it was almost dry. It was very slightly moist, but very crisp. Some parts are still green, but the growth tips aren't as soft anymore. So how will I know if it is dead or alive? Will it turn completely brown when dead?
    It's magic.
    Formerly known as WaterKirby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 31drew31 View Post
    If its dead it will be brown in a day or two. Same thing has happened to me before.
    Well, since it's still green, I guess that's a good sign. I'll check tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by LeafKirby View Post
    It's magic.
    Haha, yes, probably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine normally bounces back after a heavy watering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, since sphagnum doesn't grow anywhere around here, I am getting a friend in another state that has sphagnum to look for some. I sent them lots of pictures and a detailed description of the moss, plus instructions for collection and shipping. However, I don't know where to tell them to look for it. They own a large farm with a large pond, a forest, an open field, a few water holes, ect. It will be collected on their private property, so they technically own it and they're just giving it to me for free. I told them to look around the edge of the pond and anywhere else that is really damp. They live in Virginia by the way, if that makes a difference. They said they would look near their neighbor's ponds (with permission) too. Am I on the right track? Where would it most likely be found, other than a bog? There aren't really any bogs around them, to my knowledge.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ69 View Post
    Mine normally bounces back after a heavy watering.
    Good to know. It's still green and the green growth tips are fluffy and soft, but the brown growth tips feel hard still. I think it should still be good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If yu just keep it wet with a wate rlevel that isnt submergintg it it will grow back.. I let some of mine dry out completely and i am using it for spores...

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

As a matter of fact, I almost let my sphag cups for propagation dry out today... I wouldve been sooooo tight cuz it would be my last extra thats not potted and i have two cups of red 3 of green.... But i caught it and watered in time

This summer when the temps kick up i might bag them all to prevent that.. And i bet theyd like the humidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
    If yu just keep it wet with a wate rlevel that isnt submergintg it it will grow back.. I let some of mine dry out completely and i am using it for spores...

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

As a matter of fact, I almost let my sphag cups for propagation dry out today... I wouldve been sooooo tight cuz it would be my last extra thats not potted and i have two cups of red 3 of green.... But i caught it and watered in time

This summer when the temps kick up i might bag them all to prevent that.. And i bet theyd like the humidity.
    If you collected it on your own, where did you find the sphagnum? Around a pond? In a muddy area of the forest? In the middle of a wet field?

If you bought it, where did you get the red sphag from?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast