Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question, but must be asked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stupid question, but must be asked

Greetings. I'm going on a nature hike in early March to photograph some local carnivorous plants (Sarracenia minor, Pinguicula species, Drosera, etc).

What sort of shoes should I wear? I need to hike about a mile or two to the best possible CP location from the reserve's parking lot. It's an asphalt trail (used for biking) and then it's sort of a marshy area.

I first wanted to wear my moccasin boots (hear me out) because I love soft-soled footwear because I can feel everything I walk over. It makes me feel more in tune with nature and they are extremely comfortable. However, the CPs will likely be in a marshy area and I don't think leather will work well in wet ground. Therefore, I've been thinking about rubber boots, but I don't know how comfortable they will be hiking long distances.

Hiking boots are an option, but I would prefer boots that I can tuck pants into so nothing crawls or flies up them while I'm walking among the brush.

So, it seems like a foolish question, but I've honestly been debating myself with this.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hiking boots would work well or wear moccasins and carry rubber boots, watch out for snakes and gaters

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rubber boots, definitely. You get used to them IME...LOL
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made the mistake of wearing regular shoes for fieldwork in boggy areas. Those shoes have never been the same since. Personally, I like Hi-Tec boots. They're completely waterproof, so you don't have to worry about water seeping through the shoelace holes.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this type of shoe for my canoeing, kayaking.
    http://www.amazon.com/Body-Glove-Rip...7596229&sr=1-3

I have no idea what brand I purchased. Mine have a soft bottom so you could feel what your walking over like you want with your moccasins. Would they work for a few mile hike, I don't know.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moccasin boots are the best, but these guys are right. I just wear cheap rubber boots when I'm in areas like that.
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=127701
    "N. jacq is the Lady GaGa of toilet bowl neps... it causes so much controversy" ~Exo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always make a point of wearing non-waterproof hiking shoes when I am in swampy areas. It sucks when water gets into a water tight boot and you can't lift your feet. Since the water can drain out, running shoes don't get waterlogged even in deep water (although you do have wet feet.)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.xtratufboots.com/Pages/default.aspx

These ^ ^

Everyone that lives here wears them and they are very water proof, very good boots.

Also when hiking around in bogs during the summer I do it in bare feet or sandals because it just cuts down on weight and I really don't care about getting my feet wet. It feels kind of cool actually. . .

But the only problem with that is the venomous critters in Florida..
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast