What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice N. burkei!

Actually, I have never considered this option :scratch: Maybe next year I should give this a try.

Actually, I have never considered this option :scratch: Maybe next year I should give this a try.

I think you should ! Hit me up early next summer, I'll have some tubers from some good starter species for you to try out.

I may just do that, you are too kind, thank you. :-D

No problem Djoni. Pretty sure I owe you a favor anyway. I'm positive you'll have them thriving by next fall.

I really like your S. American 'dews, especially after eating. They look very robust. I wasn't aware of Drosera rubrifolia. What group does that one belong to? A very nice looking plant.

Thanks Mark. I'm pretty sure that the D.tomentosa came from you.

Drosera rubrifolia is a South African species that at least superficially appears to be related to D.slackii and D.venusta. I only recently received this species and don't have a lot of experience with it yet. So far it seems to like higher humidity than most of my other ZA plants but, this could be due to the conditions that it was previously kept in. At any rate, it's a very interesting species and I hope to start propagating and spreading it around soon.

You've got some really stunning plants there. Awesome setup.

Many of the tuberous Drosera species are waking up for the season.....

Drosera aberrans

Drosera squamosa (Formerly Drosera erythrorhiza ssp. squamosa) - Laterite Growing Form

Drosera lowriei

Drosera basifolia (Formerly Drosera menziesii ssp. basifolia)

Drosera menziesii (Formerly Drosera menziesii ssp. menziesii)

Drosera modesta

Drosera hookeri

Drosera tubaestylus

Drosera zigzagia

Drosera zonaria

The South American Drosera are also enjoying cooler temps and some fresh T5's.

Drosera graomogolensis

Drosera spiralis

Drosera tomentosa

Nepenthes x trusmadiensis - Clone #1

Nepenthes adnata

Nepenthes burkei

Nepenthes eymae - Intermediate Pitcher

Nepenthes flava

Nepenthes fusca - Sarawak Red

Nepenthes fusca - Upper Pitcher

Nepenthes glandulifera - Seed Grown - EP

Nepenthes hamata - MT

Nepenthes leonardoi

Nepenthes platychila

Nepenthes tenuis - AW

Nepenthes veitchii - "Pink"

Some new Disa orchids. D.aurata, D.tripetaloides and D.uniflora.

Last edited:
Well, I'm impressed......
I don't really seem to have a lot of luck in getting the tuberous species to stay around, they don't form big enough tubers to go through the summer. I'm jealous.
And that D. graomogolensis is jaw-dropping. I thought mine was doing really well, but apparently it has a long ways to go :)

The tuberous species of Drosera need copious amounts of food while in active growth in order to properly develop tubers. I feed them several times per week with Maxsea.

That particular D.graomogolensis is now about 4" across and has produced several other large offshoot plants.

Impressive update, Johnny. I'm always taken back by how nice those tuberous dews are, and by the sheer diversity of the Australian species. Not many people seem to be growing them - at least, not well.

Also impressive how quickly you located those Disas!

Impressive update, Johnny. I'm always taken back by how nice those tuberous dews are, and by the sheer diversity of the Australian species. Not many people seem to be growing them - at least, not well.

Also impressive how quickly you located those Disas!

Thanks Mat. Many people can't seem to grasp the dormancy requirements of tuberous Drosera and often fail with them. Since they're fairly expensive and relatively uncommon, an initial failure often keeps people from trying their hand at their cultivation a second time. I've made a few good connections in the US with other tuberous growers but, you're right......there doesn't seem to be too many around.

I actually didn't have a very hard time tracking down the Disa at all. Seems I was a bit late in the season looking for them though since it seems I got some of the last available plants.

Do you know the location data on that eymae?

Do you know the location data on that eymae?

No, it was field collected by John Turnbull in the 1970's. That's the only information I have on it.

A beautiful display, as always!

It is nice to see the tuberous 'dews setting up for the winter. And that is the biggest graomogolensis I've ever seen a photo of. 'Looking forward to more as they progress. ;)

I love how squamosa puts up flower stalks before the leaves form. So cool..
I also love to see someone sharing the same passion for Droseras that I have. That being said, I'm pretty jealous of your collection. Everything looks fantastic!

The tuberous species of Drosera need copious amounts of food while in active growth in order to properly develop tubers. I feed them several times per week with Maxsea.

That particular D.graomogolensis is now about 4" across and has produced several other large offshoot plants.

Several times a week.... well, that may explain it, I'll have to step up my feeding regime with those ones then, they've been getting heavy feedings, but at the same rate as my other plants.
My graomo is around 2.5" across, interesting to know they get to be that big a plant.

A beautiful display, as always!

It is nice to see the tuberous 'dews setting up for the winter. And that is the biggest graomogolensis I've ever seen a photo of. 'Looking forward to more as they progress. ;)

Thanks Mark. I'm hoping to get seed from the D.graomogolensis this year. I left the flowers alone last year and they didn't produce any seed. I'll try hand pollinating them this time around and see what happens.

I love how squamosa puts up flower stalks before the leaves form. So cool..

Many of the larger rosetted species do this. Definitely an interesting trait.

Several times a week.... well, that may explain it, I'll have to step up my feeding regime with those ones then, they've been getting heavy feedings, but at the same rate as my other plants.
My graomo is around 2.5" across, interesting to know they get to be that big a plant.

This doesn't even seem to be enough for some of them. D.gigantea seems to want more food even with weekly Maxsea feedings. I might need to give them something more substantial in addition to the fertilizers.

It surprised me when I watched D.graomogolensis outgrow my D.latifolia. It's an impressive species and very easy to grow. A great introduction into the South American Drosera.

Everything looks fantastic man.

Back