What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Several times a week.... well, that may explain it, I'll have to step up my feeding regime with those ones then, they've been getting heavy feedings, but at the same rate as my other plants.

There may be other issues at hand with your plants as well. Could you explain your cultivation and dormancy techniques ? Media, light cycles etc....

Nepenthes x murudensis (or depending on who you talk to, Nepenthes murudensis)

Nepenthes adrianii - MT

Nepenthes densiflora - Upper Pitcher

Nepenthes eymae - Intermediate Pitcher

Nepenthes fusca - Upper Pitcher

Nepenthes lavicola - I got this plant in semi rough shape but, it's rebounding nicely.

Nepenthes longifolia - MT

Nepenthes micramphora

Nepenthes palawanensis

Nepenthes stenophylla

Nepenthes tenuis - AW

Nepenthes villosa seedlings.

Heliamphora nutans "Giant" with lots of new growth.

Pinguicula cyclosecta

Pinguicula laueana

Utricularia tridentata

Drosera cunefolia

Drosera scorpioides

Drosera sp. South Africa seedlings. Not sure if this one has been named yet or not but, so far they look a lot like D.venusta.

Drosera slackii

Drosera spiralis - Emerging Flowers

Got this plant as "Drosera tomentosa var. glabrata" but I suspect it may be Drosera esmeraldae.

Drosera tomentosa var. tomentosa

Drosera latifolia

Drosera cistiflora just broke the surface for the season .

Drosera basifolia

Drosera lowriei

Drosera menziesii

Drosera monantha

Drosera ramellosa with flowers emerging.

Drosera squamosa - Laterite Growing Form

Drosera zonaria

Last edited:
Spectacular. I totally enjoy seeing the tuberous 'dews come back to life. I'm trying to get somewhere with D. cistiflora again and it's good to see it is possible to bring them back after dormancy. I'm looking forward to winter updates. :)

This will be my fourth season with D.cistiflora. For some reason last year, they only produced about 2" of erect growth. I'm hoping they will be in their full glory this time around.

Nice dews! Can't really say which one I like the best.

Nice dews! Can't really say which one I like the best.

Thanks Jen. Many of the tuberous species have only recently arisen for the winter. Their full glory is still some weeks off.

Nice update as always Cthulhu

Your sundews are really amazing. I especially like the Drosera tomentosa var. tomentosa and both Drosera squamosa. Two sundews I haven't really seen before. Nice update

Thanks guys.

Eric, those species have a reputation of being difficult to grow. I find D.tomentosa to be as easy as any tropical Drosera, they even tolerate the summer heat very well for a South American species. I think people tend to be scared of the tuberous species like D.squamosa. They're only available seasonally from a few sources and can cost a lot more than your average Drosera. That coupled with their dormancy requirements seems to turn people off from them a bit. They're well worth the price and the extra effort involved in growing them though and after a season or 2, you'll find their dormancy to be a breeze.

Last edited:
your Droseras look like candy. Especially the Drosera squamosa, they look like the candy gummies but MORE SUPREME. Am I the only one who want to eat them as I scroll through the photos? Also, I have decided I need a Pinguicula cyclosecta after seeing yours!!!! Thank you so much for updating us with your collection.

Last edited:
Also, I have decided I need a Pinguicula cyclosecta after seeing yours!!!!

You should see them when they're actually grown WELL ! My Pinguicula are in dire need of new lights.....

Every time I go through this thread it almost hurts.... this collection is too amazing.
Most of my still alive tuberous dews have yet to come back, and the cistiflora I have I'm still waiting on too. But, I continue to hope, and then hope I can get them halfway to looking like those guys...
And geez do I really wish I hadn't lost my D. squamosa last year!!!

Every time I go through this thread it almost hurts.... this collection is too amazing.
Most of my still alive tuberous dews have yet to come back, and the cistiflora I have I'm still waiting on too. But, I continue to hope, and then hope I can get them halfway to looking like those guys...
And geez do I really wish I hadn't lost my D. squamosa last year!!!

Thanks for the kind words.

There must be something you're missing that they need to prosper. Most tuberous Drosera are very easy as long as they get what they need. Can you describe your cultivation techniques for them ? What media are you using ? Where do you keep them ? What are your temps in summer and in winter ? How much light are they getting during active growth ? How dry are you keeping them for dormancy ? What are the steps you take to induce dormancy in spring and to break them of it in the fall ? Are you trying to grow plants sourced from Australia or plants that have already been acclimated to the Northern Hemisphere ?

I'm confident that with a little insight into your current growing methods we can figure out what's going on and fix it.

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of details, but the plants are kept in a 2:1 perlite/peat soil (I hope to find sand one of these days and replace the perlite with that), with temperatures that can exceed the 90's in summer and often drop into the 50's or 60's during winter. They grow under artificial lighting, though in early fall and late winter they get some direct sun from the eastern window they are near to. I can't keep them right in front of the window because I have a stand with a snake tank that takes up some of that room. And the lights tend to stay on for around 16 hours a day during growth, though that may decrease a little since I need to change the photoperiods for the pygmies, and when they dry for dormancy I tend to wait until the first ones show signs of dying back and then let the pots dry out naturally. They never fully dry as down in the bottom there is always some residual moisture. To bring them out I let the temperatures drop in early fall and slowly begin to add water to the pots until they return to moist, usually right around the time the plants start popping up again. And all my current plants were grown from seeds, so they only known the Northern Hemisphere seasons.

I really think the issue was the fact I wasn't aware they needed as much food as you say you give them. I'll be increasing the regularity of their feedings now..

There are much bigger issues at hand here than feeding as I expected. The media you're using is no good for tuberous Drosera. Most species need a mix of at least 75% sand. The Play Sand found at Home Depot is fine for these if you're having a hard time finding pure silica sand. The other glaring issue at hand is your light cycle. These are winter growing plants and should not get over 10 hours of light per day while in active growth. 16 hours is what they would be getting during the summer, your plants are totally confused by these conditions and that's why you're having so much trouble with them.

I have a complete write up of their care at the bottom of this page. http://necps.org/guides.html Hope this helps.

Really nice update, Johnny. Love those Australian dews more than anything in the genus.

All I could say is "wow". Fantastic dew update.

My macrantha is still dormant but seeing your cistiflora come back so late gives me a little bit hope. Those menziesii look amazing!

Really nice update, Johnny. Love those Australian dews more than anything in the genus.

Thanks Mat. They're my favorites as well. In fact, they're some of my favorite plants in general.

All I could say is "wow". Fantastic dew update.

Thanks Travis.

My macrantha is still dormant but seeing your cistiflora come back so late gives me a little bit hope. Those menziesii look amazing!

The D.cistiflora are right on time for me actually. The ZA winter growers and the tuberous species are pretty much in line with each other here, the ZA plants being a bit more predictable though. I've had plants break ground as early as late August and as late as early January. The ones lagging on me this year are D.squamosa "Sand Growing Form", D.gigantea and most of the stolonifera complex plants. All have started growing though and should be topside very soon.

Back