What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
I'm freaking out...

Last week I found the cottony "growth" on my S. rubra and isolated the plant. Now I'm finding the little ***** on my N. ventricosa (pitchers only it seems), D. 'pretty rosette' (flower stalk) and the VFT (in and out of the traps). They've also since been isolated.

I'm super confused as to what is the best angle of attack to take. I was originally told 70% rubbing alcohol, but I've also read adding in dish detergent. From a search on TF here I've seen various pesticides recommended however I've NEVER had to use any so I'm a bit hesitant. Also, in my area it will be probably be impossible to find anything unless Walmart would carry it out of season.

I've also seen it suggested that submerging the crown completely may take care of the ones hiding within the roots and soil. I uprooted everything and I cannot find any in the media, granted that doesn't mean they aren't there. I'm worried that re-potting will just transfer them over.

Again, I'm super worried that if I don't stop this soon my entire collection will be infected. So far the plants are still growing well, which I've read isn't out of the ordinary for minor infections. But I don't want it to get any worse.

I don't think submerging Sarracenia is all the effective. There are just too many areas that trap sufficient air to keep some mealybugs alive unless you submerge the plant for an extended amount of time (4 or more weeks).

I had a bad root infestation which I hope is under control. I used a systemic insecticide from Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer for Soil and Turf. It's the same formula as their Rose and Flower Insect Killer but sold as a concentrate. The instructions said for soil pests to use a concentration 6x that of the spray. I used that to drench the media and roots in combination with spraying (normal concentration). So far I've not found re-infestation. Spraying alone was not effective as the mealybugs in the soil would survive.

A combination of systemic spray and the alcohol/detergent swab appears (knock on wood) to have control an infestation of Pink Hibiscus Mealybugs, a particularly nasty species of mealybugs (google 'em).

Even if you isolated the plants I would treat all your plants (where safe depending on Genus). The crawlers get around and you can actually inadvertently transfer insects from plant to plant on your hands or clothing.

I would say the ICPS website gives sound advice:
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/Pests/Mealybugs.php

Last edited:
Start with alcohol spot treatments. I have mealybugs in my gecko terrarium, and the spot treatment wasn't enough to get rid of them, even with consistent treatment. That's getting completely torn down, sterilized, and redone.

Personally, I'd cut off all of the affected leaves, possibly even all existing leaves. These little guys are serious, and sometimes drastic measures must be taken.

Sorry, my bad: Complete Brand Insect Killer for Soil and Turf

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/lawn-care/products/complete-brand-insect-killer-for-soil-turf

Note to self: remember to stop relying on memory. It's old and worn out.

Phew, ok that seems to be an easier product to find even though I may have to order online. How often did you spray/soak?

Start with alcohol spot treatments. I have mealybugs in my gecko terrarium, and the spot treatment wasn't enough to get rid of them, even with consistent treatment. That's getting completely torn down, sterilized, and redone.

Personally, I'd cut off all of the affected leaves, possibly even all existing leaves. These little guys are serious, and sometimes drastic measures must be taken.

Will do.

Is the detergent worth adding to the alcohol?

Even if you isolated the plants I would treat all your plants (where safe depending on Genus). The crawlers get around and you can actually inadvertently transfer insects from plant to plant on your hands or clothing.
I agree. As you just discovered, they have infected more plants than you realize. While treating plants is a pain, it's worse to have to keep treating them because you continue to find outbreaks in the plants you didn't nuke. :0o:

I drenched once a month for 3 months. I poured the solution on the crown until it began to run out the drain holes of the pot. Individual trays (basket liners). Plants were not watered with straight water until the trays had dried up. Spray at the recommended of every 7(? memory!) days for 6 weeks.

The detergent helps dissolve the waxy coat of the mealybugs to better drown them with the alcohol.

One common home recipe I was given by another Sarracenia grower is 1 part 70% alcohol, 1 part 409 cleaner (light detergent), 4 parts water. You can use a spray bottle as long as you don't overdo it. The 409 is rather mild to begin with and further diluted. I would eventually flush your pots out with water though.

One of the things I've been curious about, what do zoos do when they have something like this**:
6814441089_8c5d9567e2_m.jpg

stocked with lizards, birds, frogs, etc and they get an infestation? :scratch:

** pic 'borrowed' from another recent thread - let me know if this is not ok.

Ok I want to make sure I have this straight...

Bayer Advanced Insect Killer:

Spray the recommended amount for ~6 weeks
Soak with 6x mixture once a month for ~3 months
No watering until pots have dried?

Alcohol:

1 alcohol:1 409: 4 H20 spray mixture
How often should I spray, daily? Or should I still swab?
Flush pots?

So I should do both? I'm confused when I need to water/not water or flush the pots...also, if I treat my entire collection do I still need to have them in separate liners? It would be dews (mainly semi tropicals, and some pygmies), a couple Neps and Sarrs, and some Pings. The pygmy dews and pings are in a separate tray. Also a terrestrial(?) Utric tray. I think my growlist is still updated.

I apologize for asking so many questions. I'm a bit flustered never being in this position before...

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

One of the things I've been curious about, what do zoos do when they have something like this**:
6814441089_8c5d9567e2_m.jpg

stocked with lizards, birds, frogs, etc and they get an infestation? :scratch:

** pic 'borrowed' from another recent thread - let me know if this is not ok.

My guess is they have a fairly strict Qt process. Somehow mine originated with a Pothos plant I had near my Cp setup. The mealybugs didn't pop up until recently though...

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Forgot to ask, since I'm using the tray method for everything but the Neps does that mean I will have to be top watering every pot now?

Ok I want to make sure I have this straight...

Bayer Advanced Insect Killer:

Spray the recommended amount for ~6 weeks
Soak with 6x mixture once a month for ~3 months
No watering until pots have dried?

If you don't have a root infestation, you probably don't need the drench.
By drying out I mean just letting the trays dry out, not the media in the potsl. You never want roots of carnivorous plants to dry out. The Complete Insect Killer has a systemic insecticide (Imidacloprid) and a contact Pyrethroid insecticide. The Pyrethroid will kill any crawlers that might hatch from eggs. The adult mealybugs will get a dose of the systemic when they feed on the plants. Their waxy coat protects them from the contact insecticide. You could use some other contact insecticide like Neem Oil or Pyrethrim if you like.

Alcohol:

1 alcohol:1 409: 4 H20 spray mixture
How often should I spray, daily? Or should I still swab?
Flush pots?
Spray or swab once a week but only if an infestation is visible. Swabbing maybe better as it will more thoroughly break up any egg masses and squish insects. Spray if you have lots of plants.

Flush the pots a few weeks after your final drench - just top water the pots a couple times and discard the runoff (no trays). Then back to trays as usual.

So I should do both? I'm confused when I need to water/not water or flush the pots...also, if I treat my entire collection do I still need to have them in separate liners? It would be dews (mainly semi tropicals, and some pygmies), a couple Neps and Sarrs, and some Pings. The pygmy dews and pings are in a separate tray. Also a terrestrial(?) Utric tray. I think my growlist is still updated.

Just spray your other plants, don't bother with the drench unless you find signs of a root infestation. The contact insecticide should hit any crawlers that might have made it to your other plants. The systemic will be there too, should any adults appear or are present. I'd only spray every two weeks or once a month for a couple months. I would not use the drench on Pinguicula and Drosera. The spray with caution.

Be sure to follow the advice from ICPS and trim and peel off as much of the dead stems on the crown. The less hiding places the more effective the treatments will be.

I apologize for asking so many questions. I'm a bit flustered never being in this position before...

No problem. Mealybugs are very nasty and difficult to control. You may not even be able to eradicate them. If I find the root infestations have returned I'm just going to destroy the plants. That may make some of you shudder but they are only S. 'Tarnok' and easy enough to replace since it is being propagated from tissue culture.

Forgot to ask, since I'm using the tray method for everything but the Neps does that mean I will have to be top watering every pot now?

Only when you drench the plants, once a month. Otherwise water as normal. Note: I have not used the 6x concentration on Nepenthes so I cannot tell you how they will react. The spray form appears to be harmless to Nepenthes.

Ok. Are my conditions too wet and that's why I should let the trays be drying out?

So I ordered some of the Bayer and picked up some 70% isopropyl alcohol and 409. Going to start swabbing the infected plants and keep them isolated for the moment. I'll switch to a spray if I catch more plants with the buggers and then I guess I will being treating the entire collection.

I guess once the Bayer arrives I'll start with that as well hopefully wont need to drench. I did notice some of them on top of the media in my N. ventricosa pot but I've yet to see any within roots of any of the currently infected plants so I'm hoping that's a good sign. I'll be transplanting those ones.

Found some no my capensis which is in the middle of the collection...yay...

Guess I'll be treating everything with the Bayer just in case.

Back