What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Culturing Springtails

I thought some people might be interested in this, it's a method I have been using for about a year for a vivarium and I thought it would translate well to feeding carnivores, particularly smaller sundews.
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/66991-how-culture-isopods-woodlice-springtails-2.html#post585620

I'm not sure on their nutritional value as opposed to alternatives like bloodworms or betta pellets, but I thought it was a cool (and easy, I only have to feed them twice or so a week) way to get a reliable and natural source of food to smaller plants. Just thought I would share if anyone was interested...

I always advocate the use of springtails as a food source for almost all seedlings in particular Drosera. They are a cheap and constant food source. I normally just leave a small pot of old wet peat moss outdoors with some fish food flakes, potato flakes or peelings for a couple days to get infested or rotate a couple of my outdoors Drosera pots indoors to inoculate my indoors pots.

As far as nutrition goes I'd go with fresh food over dried or freeze-dried food any day.

Thanks for the cultivation tips.

I have my springtails in a sterilite container filled with charcoal and about half way with RO/DI water. I toss fish flake in every once in a while and they last forever. Every time I start a new terrarium I always take a good portion of springtails and dump them in there. They manage to reproduce and get eaten by the plants. I also have them in my Crested Geckos tanks to take care or any poo and uneaten shed. I also heard they take care of fungus gnat larva. Springtails are an under rated cleanup crew/food IMO.

Springtails wont eat fungus gnat larva... but are great for being janitors of decaying plant matter or animal waste like you said.

Maybe not but they'll probably compete for some of the same food sources as fungus gnats.

Springtails are probably a major source of food for seedlings in nature.

I agree with that, was just stating they dont attack the larva directly.

I would assume they are too, both love it nice and wet.

Back