Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to this... help needed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you dont know I would rinse the roots and repot them then.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice beginner acquisitions. Yes, that mixture will work fine. More typical is 50/50 sand/peat moss but much of it depends on your climate and how you water the plants as much as it does on the species.

Make sure to get silica sand or pH neutral horticultural sand (usually silica) and that the peat moss is free of fertilizers.

If the plants are from Booman Florals they use a decent quality peat moss and you can probably put off repotting them until next year. I would however flush out the media with pure (distilled or Reverse Osmosis filtered) water.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of them will be fine on the tray method, especially the Sarracenia, they like their soil moist always (accept for dormancy, where its ok not to water them very often). It seems like your gonna be a little late for dormancy since its probably only got a month or so left for most people. Like Heli said just rinse the roots, so get a bowl of distilled water preferably, and dunk the roots of the plant until the substrate comes off . If you need anymore help feel free to pm me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Nice beginner acquisitions. Yes, that mixture will work fine. More typical is 50/50 sand/peat moss but much of it depends on your climate and how you water the plants as much as it does on the species.

Make sure to get silica sand or pH neutral horticultural sand (usually silica) and that the peat moss is free of fertilizers.

If the plants are from Booman Florals they use a decent quality peat moss and you can probably put off repotting them until next year. I would however flush out the media with pure (distilled or Reverse Osmosis filtered) water.
    I will use a 50/50 base than

The plants are from a different shop, but the plants they had didn't look that great and a lot of them were in way too small pots. So I don't think that they use good soil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on where you live you may not need distilled water.. but I highly recommend using it because usually its a must

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mluk27 View Post
    All of them will be fine on the tray method, especially the Sarracenia, they like their soil moist always (accept for dormancy, where its ok not to water them very often). It seems like your gonna be a little late for dormancy since its probably only got a month or so left for most people. Like Heli said just rinse the roots, so get a bowl of distilled water preferably, and dunk the roots of the plant until the substrate comes off . If you need anymore help feel free to pm me.
    Ok, thanks!

So I don't need to keep the plants in dormancy then?

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mluk27 View Post
    Depending on where you live you may not need distilled water.. but I highly recommend using it because usually its a must
    Actually I'm currently using melted snow to water them, since I don't have something yet to catch rain water. Our water over here is quite soft, so maybe if I test the water I can use that to water them. I also have a pond, is the water from that also a good source?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were the Sarracenia and VFT outside when you bought them? If they were inside I would not put them through dormancy right now, as they will go into shock and die.

Sarracenia like their substrate wet. The ones I have seen in situ can grow in remarkably damp conditions.
    Where are you located? This will help a lot with advise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    Were the Sarracenia and VFT outside when you bought them? If they were inside I would not put them through dormancy right now, as they will go into shock and die.

Sarracenia like their substrate wet. The ones I have seen in situ can grow in remarkably damp conditions.
    Where are you located? This will help a lot with advise.
    All the plants were inside.

I'm from Belgium actually!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast