What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally putting up the new rack

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Well with lots of help from my hubby the new plant cage is in place. For those who don't remember my excitment at this find, it is 6 ft high, 4 ft wide and 2 ft deep on casters with locking doors in front. The sides, top and front doors are covered with clear plexiglass.
My original dreams of a mylar backing, T5 lights and humidifiers was squashed, for now. So the back is lined with white water proof material. Two shelves are lined with a light colored water proof material and the center one with green. All materials are left over from hubby's days doing marine canvas for the local boating industry. The green was chosen because it was the only piece big enough to cover a shelf and up one side in a single piece and i wanted that for where I have the mounted orchids, to help with stopping water from dripping on the shelf/lights below it.
The lights are my old T12's..with a promise that as these wear out i can replace them. right now the airflow is still by airhoses, but i will be switching to a fan soon.
for now temps have been about 66 degrees f and humidity around 65%.
The pics are by cellphone and I had to turn the top lights down for a better capture.

photobucket-1977-1329072739310.jpg

photobucket-7298-1329072811786.jpg

*whistles*
That's pretty hardcore Judy!

*whistles*
That's pretty hardcore Judy!
Iit's actually is a steel storage rack with doors. The casters, plexiglass and shelves are all factory add ons. Bought new, the rack alone is roughtly $1500, before all the add ons. The shelves alone are over a hundred a piece. hubby found it at an auction for me for, are you ready,
:-O$35.00:-O

cool set up,and a bargain too

Wow, that's fantastic.

Nice! You have your own CP penitentiary:p.

Nice! You have your own CP penitentiary:p.

Well after so many years of flora-bondage (wiring bonsai limbs and phalaenopsis orchid spikes) I decided that I needed to step up my game for the more dangerous and hard to control plants. :-))

Plus it keeps the ever errant Morgan from chewing on the leaves as she is prone to do.

IMG_2467.jpg

Iit's actually is a steel storage rack with doors. The casters, plexiglass and shelves are all factory add ons. Bought new, the rack alone is roughtly $1500, before all the add ons. The shelves alone are over a hundred a piece. hubby found it at an auction for me for, are you ready,
:-O$35.00:-O

LOL! I wish I had your income / budget!

@JIMSCOTT..you mean your budget can't stretch to cover $35.00???

*Watches as a Nep makes a shiv from an orchid flower stake.*

pretty awesome Judy! nobody messes with your plants!

Is that the hammy in the back? JEEZ that thing's grown!!

Back