What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's about time bluemax posted some photos!

Did the flower just open?

It had been about 3 days since it opened at the time this photo was taken. It's a bit more purple than the photo shows.

Very nice! Sadly I struggle at differentiating Pinguicula from one another... Great blossom though, its nice when you can enjoy some floral beauty even when the weather looks like it does outside.

Thanks, Dex. Colorful flowers do take some of the chill off. :) I'm looking forward to the plant becoming its normal big, leafy self again!

In front of your house looks like a cake walk compared to the winter here this year. Can't even see the front of our house over the snow drifts..
Your plants however, are looking quite happy and warm indoors.. as usual. :bigthumpup:

wonderful ,ping flowers just make me:D and a very picturesque scene ,here its just rained non stop,

In front of your house looks like a cake walk compared to the winter here this year. Can't even see the front of our house over the snow drifts..
Your plants however, are looking quite happy and warm indoors.. as usual. :bigthumpup:

Thanks, amigo! Yeah, we just get a taste of winter here. You get the full 5-course meal.

wonderful ,ping flowers just make me:D and a very picturesque scene ,here its just rained non stop,

Thank you, Corky. Non-stop rain is our m.o.for this time of year as well. It was actually nice to have some snow for a change. I'm hoping for more ping flowers before long.

Recovery from Summer

I am back from working away from home this summer and my plants are certainly doing better than they were some months ago. I'm a bit shocked to realize how long it has been since I last posted some photos. Here goes -

PB176489.jpg

My ever-faithful Drosera aliciae. This thing just never skips a beat.

PB176486.jpg

Some little D. slackii.

PB176492.jpg

D. tomentosa - formerly D. montana var. tomentosa

PB176492det.jpg

PB176495.jpg

P. cyclosecta. This species always seems to be a crowd-pleaser. Purple and teal - what's not to like?

PB176499.jpg

D. roraimae. These seem much-releaved at the cooler temps. of autumn.

PB176503.jpg

D. adelae feeling its way around the local neighborhood.

PB176509alt.jpg

D. natalensis was a species that came to me out of the blue. Seemingly a generic-looking rosetted 'dew I have come to really like this one.

PB176512.jpg

My Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant'.

PB176522.jpg

A small pot of little D. latifolia, formerly D. ascendans.

PB176527.jpg

Flytrap seedlings of mixed parentage. Such potential!

PB176534.jpg

D. graomogolensis.

PB176537.jpg

D. hamiltonii.

PB176545.jpg

Grandmother D. slackii.

PB176545det.jpg

I really like those red stipules.

PB176548.jpg

I really need to rescue this D. scorpioides before the fan gets it.

Great looking dews Mark and yes you should post more pics.On a side note I finally managed to get and germinate seeds from my slackii I shall post pics when they are large enough,yours look much better than mine ,beautifully grown

Great looking dews Mark and yes you should post more pics.On a side note I finally managed to get and germinate seeds from my slackii I shall post pics when they are large enough,yours look much better than mine ,beautifully grown

Thanks, corky. But my slackii plants are clones from root cuttings and not grown from seed that I produced myself. Good job! I look forward to your photos.

Look at all that dew!

Looking great Mark ! Keep those pics coming !

What sort of media do you use for the D. hamiltonii and what are your conditions like? I've got a couple that don't look nearly as happy as yours.

Look at all that dew!

Thanks! I have to include the admission that I cherry-pick when I post photos. It's not always so cheery in the terras. :-D

Looking great Mark ! Keep those pics coming !

Thanks, Amigo. It is in my plans to do more posting in the future.

What sort of media do you use for the D. hamiltonii and what are your conditions like? I've got a couple that don't look nearly as happy as yours.

I have the D. hamiltonii in a peat/sand/perlite media, in that order. Conditions are 50-80% humidity, fluctuating with the time of day. Temps are low 60's F to mid 70's. They sit in a watering tray constantly with light top watering about twice a week. Light levels are moderately high under fluorescent lights.

'Hope this helps. I'm guessing if the conditions work for Cephalotus they will probably work for this species since they famously co-inhabit the same regions.

Last edited:
All look like they are loving life! I especially love that P. cyclosecta and ceph Hummer's. Your VFT babies look way better than mine :slap:

All look like they are loving life! I especially love that P. cyclosecta and ceph Hummer's. Your VFT babies look way better than mine :slap:

Ha! Thanks, Dj. And we don't have to talk about your sarrs vs mine. 'Notice I don't have any sarr pictures? :poke: :-D

Last edited:
:-)) Okay, fair enough. Someday I hope to be as successful as you growing VFT from seed, but right now this eludes me and I am a poor student, haha.

Overdue Grao Care

The moss was threatening to overcome my grandmother Drosera graomogolensis for quite awhile now so I finally got around to beating the, admittedly attractive, stuff down. When I had pulled the pot the plant was in out of its water container I got a look at the roots. The pot is 11" tall, I believe, being as it is designed for tree seedlings. The roots extended at least 6" beyond that.

P1027091.jpg

P1027093.jpg

The moss is now removed or pushed down under the plant.
P1027098.jpg

Ready to grow another year and something. I was sorry that I only had room to propagate some of the roots. There were enough to produce 100's of plantlets.
P1027099.jpg

P1027099%20-%20C.jpg

Jesus Mark, now I know why your graos look so good...that root system is amazing! Happy happy plant for sure, nice growing!

Looks quite happy indeed. Good luck with the root cuttings.

That plant might give my D. capensis a run for its money for root mass, but mine's in a tiny 3 inch pot with most of the roots in the water tray. I really should do something about that.

Hi Bluemax - Great dews! I like the PVC tubes as planters. Very nice! You have some happy plants. Not keeping them in a tray of water must be a tremendous amount of work watering them. I'm all about automation these days. Regardless, whatever you are doing works very well.

Your D. hamiltonii are happier than any mine have even been. I'm wildly impressed with you So. Am. dews, and that D. graomogolensis you were just showing off is fantastic! I'll have to come to you for tips as I embark on cultivating this group for the first time.

That's a great D. slackii. I love the flowers on that species. I've only been graced by them a few times though. Worth the wait! Have you seen the amazing flowers on the D. slackii population from the Palmiet River in the Kogelberg? They have a little more purple to them and are, in my opinion, the 4th most beautiful flower in the genus. I've never been able to track down a clone to try though. Gives me something to shoot for! :hi5:

DJ57 - 'Glad you like the plant. I seem to recall you having some significant success with this species awhile back.

Radagast - Yes, it is time to get a pot of these brewing again. Thanks for the good wishes! Propagating sundews is the one of the most fun things a person can do with them, imho.

nimbulan - I certainly remember the photos of your cape sundew. Lots of propagation material in those!

apoplast - I've been growing D. slackii for over 4 years now and never have seen a flower stalk from one. Others have, though. There's a thread in the sundew forum called Flower Power...

Last edited:
Back