Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Irate homeowner shoots plant thief

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, he must love that plant. I know this will happen if you intrude on the remaining sites of Sarracenia oreophila, jonesii, and alabamensis, since they're endangered species and some of the protective property owners will defend the remaining plants from poachers at all costs. Since when did people start ignoring the "look but don't touch" rule?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have shot him a third time...just to get the point across.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok i should rephrase even firing off a blank or a rubber round works too but i would do the same thing and mostly because if i too had plants that i worked hard to keep alive and healthy i wouldnt want someone going ahead and taking them. Im mixed about it as you can tell but i fully understand why he did it and good for him for protecting his plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah..I cannot muster even one shred of sympathy for the victim. If one makes a decision to take another person's property, no matter what the property is, then be prepared to pay the price. Kudos to the shooter. Thieves get what they deserve.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of the legitimacy of firearm laws (or another one of JB's insane rants), I have yet to hear a convincing argument on the issue of the bystander. Are a few plants and a strong message to other thieves really worth the death of an innocent civilian? She did say, after all, that she could "smell" the gunpowder. Also, show me the statistical proof that protecting one's property by lethal means lowers theft or crime in general.

Other than that, you guys can sit on your computers and pretend you would shoot a trespasser all you like, but until that moment arises, you're just making a moot point.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the woman to say she smelled the gunpowder, that puts her in the vicinity but who can say how close? Too close for comfort for her, for sure. The smell of smokeless powder can travel some distance. There is proof out there, FBI statistics for one to show how resistance to a criminal often does no harm or may foil the criminals plans, just the other day, I saw video of a creep trying to kidnap a little girl...she resisted and got away. It may be difficult to show precisely that the use of deadly force to prevent theft lowers theft or crime in general. I have read books from knowledgeable people that such is the case. One thing is certain, criminals go out of their way not to commit crime in the presence of the police. I think the same concept stretches to criminals being less likely to choose a victim they know or suspect to be armed. Likewise to burglarize a house they feel or know the homeowner to be armed. Should they find someone is home, then their burglary would become a robbery. Self preservation is a big motivator. Perhaps I am mistaken in that, but ask a cop sometime if his house has ever been burglarized. If and when bystanders are injured that is terrible, and something that everyone who contemplates carrying a weapon should consider. One of many considerations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Chicago is one instance where violent vigilantism and retaliation to gangs and deaths of bystanders spiraled out of control and produced more gangs. What would Batman do?
    Last edited by fdfederation; 02-17-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although stealing a potted plant seems kinda foolish, shooting someone for doing it is just plain wrong. Maybe yelling at the guy or pointing a un-chambered gun at him would be the best thing to do. Besides, if he had died, what do you think the man would say in a job interview after they looked up his background? " I shot him because he was stealing one of my plants"...I know I wouldn't give him any job. And also, being a hunter and shooter, I know that smelling the gun powder from a gun is way too close for comfort. Clearly he should have been fined for threatening bystanders. And also...hes in his 60's...Ive met a lot of nice old people, and a lot of mean old people that have threatened me...so Im not surprised he had a gun.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast