Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Irate homeowner shoots plant thief

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know which is more entertaining; the story itself, or the commentary it elicits!
    *waves a flag riddled with bullet holes, chuckling*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fdfederation View Post
    I think Chicago is one instance where violent vigilantism and retaliation to gangs and deaths of bystanders spiraled out of control and produced more gangs. What would Batman do?
    Chicago citizens do not even have the right to protect themselves. They cannot own pistols and cannot carry firearms for protection. Been that way for years, so as far as violent vigilantism... Not only Chicago, but around the world, places with strict firearm laws have a naturally high crime rate.

As far as the bystander, like others have said, burnt powder can be smelled quite a distance away. Anyone who has sent a few rounds down range knows this.

There are far more crimes prevented just by the presence of a firearm than are ever reported.

And, AMEN to JB!

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Although stealing a potted plant seems kinda foolish, shooting someone for doing it is just plain wrong. Maybe yelling at the guy or pointing a un-chambered gun at him would be the best thing to do. Besides, if he had died, what do you think the man would say in a job interview after they looked up his background? " I shot him because he was stealing one of my plants"...I know I wouldn't give him any job. And also, being a hunter and shooter, I know that smelling the gun powder from a gun is way too close for comfort. Clearly he should have been fined for threatening bystanders. And also...hes in his 60's...Ive met a lot of nice old people, and a lot of mean old people that have threatened me...so Im not surprised he had a gun.
    And if the burglar had pulled out a gun while you pointed your unchambered gun at him... Besides if the guy had died...oh well. The home owner did nothing wrong, there would be no background history to check. None. As it should be. No crime was committed. Also, by your comment, are you a mean crotchety old man? Apparently they are the ones with guns.

Being in the room, holding your nose because someone farted, does not mean you were in the line of fire.
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923

Smile, it makes people nervous :) MH1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Paha, this is why I'm happy my own country has tougher gun laws. This is actually terrifying. I really don't understand why anyone would want more guns floating around- there are far too many stupid, impulsive and untrustworthy people around- giving them guns just makes them even more of a hazard to society.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Minnesota house just passed the "Shoot First" law, meaning you are entitled to shoot trespassers on your property you imagine are threatening, they don't have to be armed themselves.

It's just another Dirty Harry law, all these poeple imagine they are the character from the movies and gonna whip out their pieces and save the world. Thing is when that Gabrielle Gifford lady got shot down in AZ there were like 5 or 6 people who pulled out guns and were ready to start shooting the people they THOUGHT were the shooter until other attendees stopped them. It could have turned into a whole OK Corral sorta thing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get off my lawn!
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @dsrtfox1942: What about the people who were inside their homes, minding their own business, who were killed by stray bullets? Having a gun doesn't necessarily prevent crime. There's plenty of cases where victims get killed first before they can even draw out their guns. There's also many examples of armed robberies being foiled by unarmed heroes. If you want to compare the US to the rest of the world, the US has the highest gun-related crimes than Europe, and Europe has even tougher gun laws. However, Mexico also has strict gun laws, but it doesn't prevent drug wars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The potential thief should be arrested but killing him? Lets not forget he was a father, should they lose their dad because he tried to still a plant? Killing a person who enters a house illegally I'm all for, but not for stilling property outside the home.
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    The potential thief should be arrested but killing him? Lets not forget he was a father, should they lose their dad because he tried to still a plant? Killing a person who enters a house illegally I'm all for, but not for stilling property outside the home.
    Agreed.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dsrtfox1942 View Post
    Chicago citizens do not even have the right to protect themselves. They cannot own pistols and cannot carry firearms for protection. Been that way for years, so as far as violent vigilantism... Not only Chicago, but around the world, places with strict firearm laws have a naturally high crime rate.

As far as the bystander, like others have said, burnt powder can be smelled quite a distance away. Anyone who has sent a few rounds down range knows this.

There are far more crimes prevented just by the presence of a firearm than are ever reported.

And, AMEN to JB!

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

And if the burglar had pulled out a gun while you pointed your unchambered gun at him... Besides if the guy had died...oh well. The home owner did nothing wrong, there would be no background history to check. None. As it should be. No crime was committed. Also, by your comment, are you a mean crotchety old man? Apparently they are the ones with guns.

Being in the room, holding your nose because someone farted, does not mean you were in the line of fire.
    Pulling out a gun while someone is pointing a gun at you would be a really stupid idea and I couldn't imagine anyone doing it unless they are experts at robbing and are wearing a vest. If the guy had died there would be a extremely sad family that would be affected permanently...and besides, Im sure that they would hire an expert lawyer and give that old man a run for his money. Besides, he was just stealing a plant..all he needed was a warning and a good scare...not a life threatening one.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast