What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Irate homeowner shoots plant thief

• Thread starter pearldiver
  • Start date
@dsrtfox1942: "There are many ways to twist and obscure numbers to enhance your position." That's what the researchers accuse pro-gun advocates of doing. They pick only the cases where gun ownership saved victims in the same manner that they accuse the media of only highlighting gun-related crimes. If you do enough research, you will find that laxness or severity of gun control law has no correlation with crime rate. Just compare several different regions' crime rates with the severity of gun control law for the same year; it's even better if you can track the crime rates and severity of gun control law across the same set of years. You will see areas with lax gun control and high crime rate, areas with lax gun control and low crime rate, strict gun control and high crime rate, and areas with strict gun control and low crime rate.

Philosophical issue:
Physical weapons don't motivate people to defend their lives.
"The pen is mightier than the sword." <- Exemplified by the legacy and endurance of philosophers and martyrs from the ancient world and religions, the Renaissance and Enlightenment, Gandhi, the US Civil Rights movement, Polish Solidarity and the Fall of the Berlin Wall, the Syrian resistance, the underground democracy and human rights movement in China, etc. The ancient Christians defeated Rome through preach, not by sword (Jesus's disciples and converts preached throughout the empire). However, medieval and imperial Christianity conquest was mostly spread by sword sprinkled with some words...
You could also argue how Hebrews escaped Egypt without taking up arms...
There's also the case of how Judea was conquered by Rome despite armed resistance...

Cool, then...YOU can get butchered by s crackhead over $50 and die a martyr whle I can shoot a criminal and keep on living....

@Exo: If I die, I'm dying for your sins, but I'll come back to haunt you, or I might reincarnate as an immortal sea jelly. ;)

@Exo: If I die, I'm dying for your sins, but I'll come back to haunt you, or I might reincarnate as an immortal sea jelly. ;)

Jellyfish is only un-aging and still be killed.

Jellyfish is only un-aging and still be killed.

Oh totally, but in that statement, I think 'immortal sea jelly' sounded better than Turritopsis nutricula.

I don't remember seeing in that block of statistics how many have had their guns taken away from them and then been shot with their own gun. Most people are quite unprepared to shoot someone despite their macho attitudes, that hesitancy to shoot turns into the homeowner handing a gun to their assailant.

That's why I like swords and axes - the end they have to grab when robbing me at home is sharp... Engarde! :D

Engarde Swords!
Beware... I have a PEN!
And as everyone knows,
the pens are mightier than the Swords!
:-))

This discussion has gotten like govenrments & their nukes!

@swords: "In all the world, there's only one technology, A rusty sword for practicing proctology!" - From "In The Year 252525" from "Futurama."

"In all the world, there's only one technology, A rusty sword for practicing proctology!"

Our friend Moammar Gadhafi found that one out the hard way! :lol:

Last edited:
Ha! This discussion just took a turn for the hilarious!

Interesting set of observations from multiple viewpoints. Many years ago, I read an article (actually a letter-to-the-editor, which later became an article) that periodically comes into my mind & gets tossed about.

Back