What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Term Papers

Don't take this serious guys, its meant to be lighthearted. When I can, I'll make the video that adds the tone to it. But seriously, don't take this serious.

You know when you have one of those really great and happy days, or when you get so lucky you don’t even know how it happened? Hopefully, we’ve all had those days, and I know someone did today.

Today, February 24 2012, was term paper day for me in English. My past history with these savage beasts has never been a positive one. Really, due to my own faults, I had never turned my term paper on time. It's not something to brag about, but it was something to fix. I was determined to avoid the stress of procrastination, so I worked diligently as should have. I was determined to avoid having nightmares, so I worked hard into the night. I was determined to turn this term paper in on time. And what a beautiful, simplistic objective it was, but what an ugliness it contained.

Nearing the end of fourth period, the weather kicked in and it rained like some kid who doesn’t have time for similes. Then it would stop, and then it would get harder, and then stop again. On the final rinse cycle, I was about to run to lunch, acquire bagged goodies, then dash a mach four into the computer lab. And it all went down from there.

Tornado drill, -10 minutes lunch time plus additional delay
Left book at home, reduced time paragraph length
Got book from friend, increased paragraph length
Sudden college counselor meeting, unknown delay
Unable to find correct area, -5 minutes
Attempted to speed thru meeting, +2 disappointed parents
Increased questions, lunch time reduced to zero
Skipped assembly, + 50 minutes
Teacher walks by, -2 minutes hiding under table
Teacher walks by, -2 minutes hiding in a peer group
Derailed by proofreading errors, unable to complete Two Quotes
Printer not working today, unable to print paper
Library, not enough money to print
Acquire money from friends, friends are at assembly
More teachers, hides in nurse’s bathroom for the remainder of time
Distracted by a teacher’s room with lights on a printer, door is locked
Goes back to lab to email, student account freezes up
Bell rings, summoned to class
Failure

The events that occurred to be today were heartbreaking. The events had chosen this day, 2/24/12, to fall upon me, and I was caught unprepared. No, the truth is… it’s the universe out to get me. You can often step on the universe and you don’t know it, but it actually gets small bits of revenge on you. One person isn’t anything, but everyone becomes too much. The universe becomes enraged and someone is gonna get it all. Now are beloved universe is a jerk, and its here to disembowel you. Well you know what? There will be days its not gonna get that sweet revenge on you, and that’s when you get those really especially good days.

Yeah, you do, don’t you? You enjoy them. I bet you take it for granted, right? I know you do. I’m not blaming the universe…actually I take that back, I am blaming the universe. You don’t stop think that someone right now is getting all that waterlogged crap. The universe works how it wants and I’m not even mad. And you know what, I was that guy. I dare you to tell me that people have it worse than me, come on, I dare you. You would probably be right and I'll feel bad, but I don’t care, caused I’m getting owned. I did all the ‘right’ things and that’s why the universe chose that day…today. I’ve been just as guilty as everyone else, but I didn’t deserve this. Nobody deserves this and there is no other way to explain the almost disgusting negligible chance of this happening. The universe works how it wants and I’m not even mad. And now I’m butt hurt. I got out class went to the next one knowing my next teacher would let me print it out, but today was a sub. Bad timing, unlucky you think? No its not. You’re wrong. The universe works how it wants and I’m not even mad. Don’t you forget how butt hurt I am. Don’t you forget how butt hurt some other guy, gal, or whatever was in the world. And don’t you take it for granted when you get that glorious day. I won’t find you if you decide to and I couldn’t find you easily. But still if you do, I won’t be mad, but try and take something from this. If you don’t take anything, I still won’t be mad. So much happened today, why would I be mad? I shouldn’t be mad, I can’t be mad. Not today, I’m not mad today.

Last edited:
So sorry this happened!!I hope it all gets worked out... :(
I've had days like this before where it just sucks...I remember one time where I forgot one of my books but I had put it in my backpack so somehow it must've jumped out of my backpack...and it all got worse from there...

Maybe you could tell your teacher that your printer wasn't working?? Most of my teachers seem to understand when that happens...

You have to pay to print paper?! Seems way too extreme...

So sorry this happened!!I hope it all gets worked out... :(
I've had days like this before where it just sucks...I remember one time where I forgot one of my books but I had put it in my backpack so somehow it must've jumped out of my backpack...and it all got worse from there...

Maybe you could tell your teacher that your printer wasn't working?? Most of my teachers seem to understand when that happens...

You have to pay to print paper?! Seems way too extreme...

Yeah I told her, but failure came in my drive to succeed in the timing.

Why not just give your teacher a copy of this rant?

Some days are just out to get ya... But to put things in perspective, it's just a term paper for what sounds like high school. It's definitely one of those things that seems really stressful and dumb but ultimately compared to the rest of the obligations and responsibilities you will face in life you will realize how trivial it really is. That's not even bringing into account the people all across the world who are facing third world or worse problems. I am sure there are many Syrians that would argue that your day was not all that bad.

I failed many classes and didn't turn in many final projects in high school. I still managed to graduate because when it comes down to it high school just isn't that hard. ???

Anyway, Hope your luck turns around.

A couple of months ago, didn't you say you were going to change? Drama llama... :jester:

Thanks for the support guys. She didn't tell me whether or not she was going to penalize me, but I hope not. I don't even wanna imagine my harder history one due in a month :|

Yeesh. Sounds like a really bad day!

Yesterday I had to print something out at lunch and I did not have the requisite ten cents. I was running around all over the place offering Bio tutoring in exchange for ten cents...

Hopefully your teacher will not dock marks!

I'm confused, Kirby. You say you were determined not to procrastinate but you still didn't finish it on time?

i recently had a similar experience. started writing a paper, got three pages in and my computer shut down, apparently it was on battery because the power cord died, paper not saved. ordered a new cord, took a week, rewrote the original paper and told it to save. screen flashed twice and shut down, paper saved, restarted computer, told it to print doc no go, windows uninstalled works suite and files were deleted. drove to my parents (one hour away) to get my discs for installing, my brother had them, so drove another 2 1/2 hours there and back. reinstalled and rewrote the paper, started a second one. screen flashed and then went blue, got a message saying all files were being dumped, my hard drive crashed. went and bought a new laptop and printer, printer wouldn't recognize the laptop. all in all i wrote that one paper five times.

I had a terrible day on Wednesday, but my nep seeds ended up coming later that day as well. Things turn around unexpectedly. The one test I remember taking was one where I thought I had completely failed. When I got it back, I had gotten 63/65. I looked at the "smart" kid's test, and he got 62/65. I felt very accomplished and I still remember it very clearly. You'll always remember the good things that happen spontainiously rather than that one term paper you worked so hard on, but you never got it turned in on time.

It would be rather awkward, but if you feel like the teacher would change her mind, email her the link to this conversation and beg her to not dock you on the points. :)

Could you imagine 'explaining' this to your boss? LOL

Back