Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Idea...

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stupid Idea...

It has had to cross somebody else's mind too... What would happen if you drank digestive juices of nepenthes or sarracenia or cephalotus or heliomorpha? Would your insides be digested, leading to internal bleeding, then death? What would happen?

On Science Daily I read an article about how Nepenthes digestive fluid can be used in medicines. In the article it explained how the natural fungicides/anti-bacterial stuff in the mucus of Nepenthes would be great for naturally fighting off bacterial infections. It also mentioned how natives to India have been drinking it as a general elixir to prevent bacterial infections, since a lot of India is a warm, humid jungle, perfect for bacterial infections to occur.

So what would happen? Does it taste good? Probably the stupidest idea and questions that could be posted on this board, but I'm rather curious...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who repeatedly drinks the fluid out of my Nepenthes pitchers and licks all the dew off my D. b. multifidas. He's fine other than being an idiot but he was like that before he started doing this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your stomach produces digestive juices that are far more potent in digestion than CPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and the hollow leaves are not unlike the cornucopia or Amalthea's horn; what a quantity of water a leaf is capable of containing, about a pint! taste of it - how cool and animating - limpid as the morning dew:
    William Bartram - Travels 1773.

Ah Bartram. One of my heros. Yes someone thought of this over 200 years ago. But I wouldn't recommend it. Especially if there are bugs. Eew.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drinking Nepenthes pitcher fluid is supposed to help with stomach aches...which makes sense. Ive tried it before just to see what its like (of course, the pitcher was closed ) ... a little sour, but tastes fresh like morning dew (I had a horrid stomach ache which went away after I drank it). I wouldn't leave your tongue hanging in Nepenthes fluid...but other than that the fluids shouldn't do anything but add more digestive enzymes to your stomach. All the other species don't have as many enzymes as Nepenthes do so they are basically harmless.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if there are no bugs in it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In one of my nature survival books, it says you can drink the rainwater out of Sarracenia Purpurea pitchers if you can dodge all the decaying insects still inside.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    In one of my nature survival books, it says you can drink the rainwater out of Sarracenia Purpurea pitchers if you can dodge all the decaying insects still inside.
    Insects are extra protein! Nevertheless, I've been molded, through the culture in which I live, to believe that devouring insects is disgusting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast