What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CFL vs Metal halid lamps

• Thread starter Tarek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    grow
Hello, i need lamp, to help grow my plants :) , and get advised to buy CFL, because is cheaper, but same effect , how do you think? :)

A CFL will definitely stay cooler, where a metal halide may fry your plants, but it doesn't have a very wide area where the light stays bright. I would recommend a basic t8 shoplight about a foot away from the plants tops.

if you can afford them t5ho the way to go

If you run a search or look at the section about lighting
(I think there is even a sticky on it)
you will find all the info you need here on TF already posted.

The subject has been extensively discussed quite a few times
and the info already here makes for nice reading.

Good luck with your project.

Ok, but search didn`t show me nothing about lights :( I put Lights , lightening.

Thx, but i will wanna put lamp on windowsill not terrarium :) .

Doesn't matter where you hang the light, the information on the effects of the various lamps the same.

I'm telling you how to find the lighting posts and any future equipment questions you should be able to find there as well.

I will try, but it`s hard to read such a lot in foreign Leangue, i just wonna simple answer, CFL or Metal halid.

Tarek,

The problem iis this is a subject that does not have many simple answers. If you only have a few plants go with CFL of about 6500k and you should do fine.

I would not recommend Metal Halide for someone with no experience.

Hope this helps,
Av

Last edited:
Daylight spectrum CFL, no doubt about it.

Tarek,

The problem iis this is a subject that does not have many simple answers. If you only have a few plants go with CFL of about 6500k and you should do fine.

I would not recommend Metal Halide for someone with no experience.

Hope this helps,
Av

Yes, this help :) . I decided to buy CFL, maybe few with 150w . Or be enough one 200w ? I wanna put it on windowsill, where is my Nepenthes, i think other plants alright with daylight,yes?

Daylight spectrum CFL, no doubt about it.

Thank you very much :) yes CFL :) :boogie:

Tarek,

Heat may become a concern, like I said no simple answers.

Start off small with just a few plants and lights.

Get some experience and build your collection and increase your lights as you do.

Av

Back