Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: cult lens fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was meandering through the thread admiring the pics & reading about some of the old lenses when I came across Butch's post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    I loved this lens when I saw what Crissy was doing with hers....
    Not sure when it was made, guessing 1970's-1980's

Vivitar 28mm Close focus OM mount
    (Komine Co. Ltd mfg.)
    I thought - hmmmm - I have a Vivitar 28mm for my old Olympus cameras. Did a bit of research and found this review & a comment from the review:
    Over at Denis' Photography Pages the author has a page dedicated to Vivitar Lenses. He writes: "A very fast wideangle lens, especially for its day (1970's), of excellent quality. Highly sought after, it is a hard lens to find."
    Reading the actual review itself, I wasn't all that impressed, although it was a very interesting throw-back in time to read about one of my lenses. Given the large number of Vivitar 28 mm lenses out there, I'm guessing that this internal-focusing, fairly huge beast of a 28mm isn't the one you have - eh Butch?

Interestingly, while I was looking around at lens info, I decided to check out the reviews on my 400mm Sigma APO. While I was hoping for at least similar news to the Vivitar 28mm --- not. The lens is known to fog up on the internal elements (lubricant condensation - virtually impossible to repair) - basically a piece of trash. Major bummer.

On the pics .....
    Really like the last pic's composition and creative use of focus to draw the viewer's eye to the primary subject matter in the lower right corner but not until some time is spent perusing the rest of the pic. Kudo's!

.... as well as this one - very visually striking. It grabbed my eye & wouldn't let it go until I had wandered around the pic multiple times - interesting & intriguing...

I'm really enjoying the renaissance of quality photography that seems to be happening on Terra. Folks are getting new camera systems. learning how to use them and taking some very impressive photos - lots of threads with lots of quality & creativity. It's all very much appreciated!! Thanks & keep it up to everyone who is pushing the envelope ...
    Last edited by RL7836; 07-06-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron,

There is a mulitude of various 28mm Vivitars. The really special one has the term "Close Focus" written on it. Its number will also have a 28 prefix (Komine mfg).

Here is a link

Thank you for the kind words old friend, I am both humbled by them and feel the need to hide the rest of the beer from ya

Peat,

Thanks mate.... the Jupiter 9 has 15 Iris blades, its Bokehlicious
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 07-07-2012 at 07:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my grandad just gave me his old Olympus OMPC film camera, got another post on that later... But it came with a 50mm and 100mm zoom lens. Hoping to get those set up with my Nikon along with the Olympus to play around with some lenses that are older than I am... Hoping I can get an adapter to fit them.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The zoom is actually 135mm and it looks as though I won out with a really high quality lens... It is a Suntar auto f2.8 135mm lens. The only sample photos I found are a bit down this post here:

http://www.digitalphotographer.com.p...993#post663993

His is not the "auto" version and that may play in. It has eight blades, don't know how that compares to my kit lenses and is of the M42 mount type. I think...

Does anyone own this lens or know anything about it?

*Edit* not a zoom lens, sorry. Brain fart!

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's an M42 screwmount then you should be able to buy an adapter for just about any DSLR made. As long as you camera has a stop-down metering mode you should be able to use it. If it doesn't do stop down metering you have to use full manual mode and use a hand-held exposure meter.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have gotten quite good at establishing what shutter speed to use with what aperture depending on the lighting. I usually shoot full manuel and don't ever meter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to thank the posters to this thread for getting me hooked on vintage lenses
    I've been hitting up ebay, and started a little collection.

First one is a Soligor 350mm f/5.6, surprisingly good lens.
    2nd is Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8, as recomended by this thread.
    3rd Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8, they don't make them like these any more. The heft and build is incredible.
    4th Panagor 90mm f/2.8, my boss has a $1200 nikkor macro, and this lens is just as sharp.
    5th Sakar 135mm f/2.8, haven't used this one much yet.
    6th Nikkor AF 24-50mm f/3.3, got this one for famliy gatherings. I was finding I was missing focus sometimes with the vivitar 28-90mm, but I think I prefer the vivitar.
    Last is a Nikkor TC-200 2x tele-conveter. I use this with the 350mm and the 90mm macro.

A manual lens really teaches you how to use your camera, I love it

d.anglica flower with Vivitar 70-210mm

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a few from a Jupiter-9 85mm. Love the unique bokeh it produces, it's blade happy after all with 15 of them. This lens seems to give a bit of the 3D effect that's talked about with certain Zeiss lenses (it's a Zeiss copy). Sadly this isn't my lens, but I shall have one one day .

Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack