What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cult lens fun

Okay then a personal challenge. I need to do the following:

• find my own cult lens ( I swear it's here somewhere)
    dig out my 200mm len, a vivitar autofocus with matching 1.4 converter
    and a tamron adaptal 200mm lens
    start using my pentax macro lens again

Goodness! Excellent Warren! I guess I'll be looking for a teleconverter now.

Nice shots!

Not sure which 70-210 series Vivitar lens I had back in the day when I hade my 3 Pentax SLR film cameras.

Pentax - Super Program Plus
Pentax - K-1000
and a good old Pentax - Spotmatic

On a side note; just ordered a new camera body today. :banana2:

Very nice photos from all! Can't believe I missed this!

I'm bowled over by all the magnificent images! And hopelessly outclassed. :hail:

My adapter arrived today for the gen 3 version..... wow, is it sharp.... but on a downside, they gave up some of the macro abilities in exchange for sharpness in normal operation.

or maybe I just dont know how to use it yet :)

A quickie to check lens operation:
IMG_2968.JPG

http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/cultlens/IMG_2968.JPG
Vivitar Series One 70-210mm generation 3 "Cult lens"

unless Im doing somethign wrong, min macro focal distance for gen 1 is about 3" whereas the gen 3 is about 30"
so basically, they gave up macro in gen 3.... but my goodness is she pretty elsewhere

Last edited:
No, the gen 1 has a better macro mode, the optics actually shift around inside. I'd have to look up the specs (I gave you a link to a scan of the manual) but as I recall it gives a better magnification ratio than the later generations.

Yeppers,

Have copies of all 3 pdf files stored on laptop :)
The difference in macro minimum focus distance was the big surprise though.... (confirmed by the manuals, so Im using it correctly)
Around 3 inches for the Gen 1, over 20 something for the Gen 3
(Macro mode by definition only I think LOL)

For our use, If i had to choose just one.... it would be gen 1.... what an amazingly versatile lens.
Having said that, no regrets in buying the G3, man.... is it nice at doing everything else.

:)

and I do have my lil ol macro lens for when the need arises
fullcropcanon.jpg

Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro w/ Canon 25mm extension tube.

Last edited:
Butch -- you da man!

This thread makes me want one. For so cheap, I feel like it's not worth NOT having one, especially since it's obviously extremely versatile. Gotta start lookin' into this... ^.^

Back in the 80's lens manufacturers started designing their zoom lenses so the minimum focus was under 1 meter and started etching "Macro" on the focus ring. Technically it should be "Close Focus" not macro because the magnification was seldom equal to or better than 1:2 (0.5x). However "Macro" fits better on the focus ring and sounds better as a sales point.

So if you're looking for good macro performance skip the zoom "macros" except a couple of the early Vivitar Series 1 zooms.

This thread makes me want one. For so cheap, I feel like it's not worth NOT having one, especially since it's obviously extremely versatile. Gotta start lookin' into this... ^.^

The cult is growing :p

Here is my contribution for today. These were taken with a Vivitar 28mm f2.8 Wide Angle Close Focus. This one seems a little rarer than the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm. This is a tiny little lens compared to the 70-210 as well. Not my picture, but shows what it looks like: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wkkNFjEoM...AnA/s1600/Vivitar_28mm_f2-8_CloseFocus_01.jpg. Composition is not the best. These were just some quick handheld shots I took tonight.

I'd also like to add that the focusing distance on this lens is about 6-8", so certainly not a true macro (hence 'close focusing').

D. trinervia
trinervia-1.jpg

D. trinervia 100% crop
trin-crop.jpg

N. vent x aristo (I think) flower. Can you tell if it's male or female yet?
nep-flower.jpg

P. gyp x moct
gyp-x-moct.jpg

That's a very coveted lens ;)

Not really a cult lens but I picked up a Celestron C90 1000mm f11 back in the early 80s. T-mount so will fit on just about anything (100% crop):
IMGP3901copy.jpg

I have a few more to post. I've been meaning to post some of these for over a week.

Helios 44-2 58mm f2
white-crocus-helios.jpg

Mossy log taken with a Yashica 50mm f2
redmossylogyas50f2.jpg

Some kind of clover/wildflower/weed growing in the yard, taken with Yashica 50mm f2
purple-flowers-yashica50f2.jpg

Yashica 28mm f2.8
crocus-yashica2.jpg

And last but not least, taken today with my new-to-me Yashica 50mm f1.4. It's almost a 100% crop.
crop_hf2.jpg

Crissy,

Very nice, congrats on that new f/1.4..... super nice color and bokeh
cant wait to join in that club too

the helios is amazing....

:)

Back