Thread: cult lens fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay! Nikon!

This is a really good macro lens Mobile:

http://www.henrys.com/65745-NIKON-AF...2-8G-LENS.aspx

It's the one I use. Perfect for CP stuff, and a good enough price.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one is also supposed to be good, but I don't own it. I own the 60mm version which is the same price. This one has Vr too. http://www.henrys.com/54480-NIKON-MI...R-DX-LENS.aspx

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    @Av8tor1, I really must speak to you sometime about camera lenses, having just purchased a Nikon D3100 and trying to make sense of what I need for macro without paying a fortune.
    Carl, how much do you have in your budget?

I dont know much about specific modern nikons.... but entry level would be to simply get some extension tubes and a good 50mm prime lens or use them with the kit lens. You will be surprised at what flexibility this provides
    That can be as cheap as under 20 bucks if you dont mind manual control.... chinese made tubes are uber cheap on ebay.

A step up from that might be something vintage, now we are talking somewhere around a hundred probably... a wonderful example here is the 1st generation, Series 1 Vivitar 70-210mm, it is a macro and a zoom, very sweet and very flexible for hmmmm 50-75usd.
    (need to know serial number prefix before you buy, many variants. Only one variant shifts the lenses for macro use)

Warren would be a better person to ask about vintage macros, I know he has experience in that area.

Up from that would be a current Nikon offerings, now you would have full auto exposure, etc
    Looks like peat and devon are pointing ya in a good direction on those.

The helios 44 is not a macro lens.... its a wonderful lens, but its not a macro.... its a 58mm prime
    (but now some have used it with an extension tube and gotten some amazing macros with bokeh)

When dealing with vintage lenses, you have to know exactly what to look for.... some have as many as 20 or more variants. One maybe a great lens while another, one serial number different might be crap.

Warren, please chime in on vintage macro options

what is your budget goal?
    lets start there

butch
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 12-11-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissytal View Post
    Thanks Devon! It just takes some practice to get the amount and type of bokeh that you want.

Got me blushing Av . It all started with my cheapo Kmart brand Viv didn't it? (inside joke).
    :-) yep, it sure did you lil chit you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank for the advise Peatmoss, Devon and Av8tor1

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Screwmount lenses need an adapter with an optical element to obtain focus at infinity - this can degrade the image quality. Not a problem if all you are going to do use the lens for macro. The capabilities of most of the old glass go way beyond macro though.

Your options with the consumer grade (vs pro grade) Nikon DSLRs such as the D3100 and D3200 are limited.

You get no metering with any lens earlier than the AF and AF-D series. This means with manual focus lenses you either have to use a hand-held light meter, guess or do a lot of "chimping" - take a shot, look at the results/histogram, adjust and repeat. The same applies to using bellows and extension tubes without electrical connections, reverse mount rings etc. Using a hand held meter means you have to account for extension exposure factor - this involves using a tape measure and some mathematics - not a problem if you have a programmable calculator handy. Or you can just "chimp" once the hand-held gets you in the ball park. But then a good hand-held meter with flash capability will set you back almost as much as a macro lens so why bother?

Nikon has the most advanced matrix metering systems of any of the companies - why would you want to lose this feature?

Outside of finding a used AF+ Nikkor Micro (Nikon calls their macro lenses "Micro") or a 3rd party lens (Sigma or Tokina) you can get close-up lenses, reverse rings for lens stacking or extension tubes with electrical connections (Kenko).

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

If you are willing to accept the limitations of using non-AF+ lenses the Nikkor Micro lenses are all fine as are any of the Pentax MF macro lenses. Pentax K-mount adapters also come with optics however some of them have removable lenses for macro work.

Expect to pay premium prices for used MF lenses in the Nikon and Pentax mounts since they are usable without adapters on some Nikon and Pentax digital camera bodies.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 12-13-2012 at 06:01 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a Number, thank you for your very comprehensive reply and useful link

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cult lenses are mainstream cool now....

Good article from B&H on using top drawer vintage lenses with the new mirrorless cameras
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/...ss-cameras2012
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 12-24-2012 at 08:48 AM.