What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tds readings

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Ok so I never paid much attentions to the tds in water. My plants did fine with my tap waters well I broke down and got a meter. My tap water reads 90-91 ppm. What is the reading our cps like to be under??

Ok so I never paid much attentions to the tds in water. My plants did fine with my tap waters well I broke down and got a meter. My tap water reads 90-91 ppm. What is the reading our cps like to be under??

Some people say under 100 ppm is fine, but most, including myself, say it's under 50. You won't kill your plants with 90 ppm, but if you decide to stick with it, you'll want to flush the pots with RO or distilled water once a month or thereabouts.

I have never flushed because till today I didn't know. I need an ro then. I cannot afford to buy enough distilled. Lol I have toooooo many plants Mato. Even my circ bog was and is filled with my tap. Next big purchase is to then. I'm sure my paphs will thank me. Thanks again Mato.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Well I cannot say never. I flush every time I water but it is with the water hose. I'm a firm believer in flushing. Just never have with distilled or ro.

What is the TDS in your recirculation bog? ...just curious :p

I don't know what TDS is fine for tap, I've always used RO. But, if a plant is fine with whatever you have been using, and you don't use tray method where the TDS can build up, it would seem to reason that the TDS would maybe not build up since it's constantly being flushed (as you mention) *shrug* run some tap water through a plant, collect the run off and read the TDS. If it is higher by a decent amount than the water going in, that would probably show it's building up. If it's really close to your tap water, then I would guess it's not building up. Right? :p
Andrew

have you tried the local fish store? they sell ro/di for very cheap. I used to get my ro water for around $0.10 a gallon before I got a ro/di system. just make sure you test their water because it may not be as pure as your water.

Pool boy, no way would I pay for RO water. The fish store I use is too far and my car is too small to get the amount needed. I will look for a system if needed.

I just got meter yesterday Andrew. I will test the bog and see what it's running. I so need to flush it out though. Hopefully no buildup.

Back