Fragile? Hm, okay...
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took Black & White 1 photography for a semester and used my moms old 35mm camera. It died at the end of the semester thankfully. I took B&W2 and Digital the next semester so I needed another film camera. I ended up getting a Canon Film DSLR for $20ish which I was able to use my regular Digital Canon lenses on. If you have a DLSR and a couple lenses, try finding a digital film camera made by the same company as your DLSR so you can interchange your lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think I will be looking around locally for a used film slr. I guess if I can't find anything locally I will look on the Internet. Broken, I will actually be keeping your offer in mind. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do NOT spend $350 on a film SLR!
    Film SLR's are a dime a dozen right now, no one wants them..GREAT time to buy one!..you can get beautiful classic Film SLR's that cost $500 twenty years ago for about $50 right now..sure, they are used, but that doesn't matter if they are in good shape..

(I just got two for FREE that were going to be thrown away! seriously..they were actually going in the dumpster..cleaning out a building where I work, and these were lightly-used 30 year old cameras that were once used for film testing, but had been sitting in a cabinet for 10 years..(hint: Rochester, NY)

When I was teenager in the 80's I drooled over this camera:

it was the camera I wanted..couldn't afford it..I cost about $500 then!
    way out of my league..
    I was given one a few weeks ago! If I didnt take it, it would have gone the dumpster..
    the poor thing was *that* surplus and unwanted..amazing..
    and ironically, now that I have it, im not going to use it!..
    (but I collect cameras..im happy to have it! even if im not going to use it right now..)

(My first SLR ended up being a Pentax A3000..still a fine camera:
    http://tinyurl.com/73vo4qj

Check it out, here is a sampling of what you can find these days..
    some recently completed ebay auctions:

http://tinyurl.com/84ncgro

http://tinyurl.com/6rvwmbh

http://tinyurl.com/86k8bk9

I used one of these for years, a beauty: http://tinyurl.com/6wuuy78

http://tinyurl.com/6n7a7ys

that last one, the Pentax K1000, was the ultimate "starter camera" of the 1970's, 80's and 90's..
    a highschoolers and college student favorite..(the cheapest new SLR you could buy)
    but these days you can get a higher-end camera for really cheap..but still, the K1000 is a fine camera..

Personally I would go for the Canon A1, Nikon F, or Olympus OM1 or OM1N

I would avoid any of the "electronics-heavy" cameras of the 80's and 90's..
    such as: http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...sm%20copy1.jpg

if it has an electronic LCD display on the top, like that one, I would pass..just because there is too much to go wrong, especially with an older camera..
    go for a basic manual, metal, SLR - with dials on the top, and manual film advance and manual focus lens..those are classics..simple and robust..

Scot
    Last edited by scottychaos; 03-10-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Scotty's advice. The simpler the camera the better. Plus, the cameras like the A-1 just feel right. Setting the exposure, adjusting the aperture, advancing the film, and focusing manually is just an awesome feeling. Plus, they look good.

I used a 1951 Leica IIf in my 35mm class. It's a range finder and has no battery compartment, so it's much more difficult to use, but it's such a rewarding camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wire,
    I have a Leica too! it belonged to my Great Uncle..(my Grandfather's brother)
    he used in the 40's, 50's, and 60's..not only do I have the camera, I have most of the photos he took too!
    its a 1935 Leica F (Leica III)

(not a photo of my actual camera, but a photo of the same model I just found online)
    its a bear to load! but a very cool camera..
    and with its family history, its probably the favorite in my collection..
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! I will keep an eye on kijijii locally, might check with my grandparents to see if they have any lying around.

I just looked on the local classified sites, tons of film slr's for under a hundred bucks.

I figure that if they ever stop producing film, I will just have a cool paperweight.

Sorry if any posts made you facepalm or if it seemed like I was disregarding advice, I posted this knowing little and now I know lots.

Thanks!
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Film is dying yes..but its not going to go away completely for awhile..
    you should still be able to get C41 (color neg film) processed for maybe 10 more years or so..
    slide processing (E6) will probably go away sooner that negative film..
    although mail-order labs might still do it for awhile..

im not sure about B&W chemistry, to develop your own B&W film at home..
    I havent heard anything about that lately..but doing your own film and B&W paper processing (with a home darkroom and enlarger) will likely remain a niche hobby for quite a long time..
    B&W papers are still being made by several smaller companys, who have been making it for a long time..Ilford, Seagull, etc..

Kodak is getting rid of a lot of film types, but they arent dropping out of film completely..just whittling down the selection to a few core color and B&W film types..but Fuji will probably still stay in the game longer, even more so if Kodak drops out, since Fuji will likely be "the last man standing"..

It is really bizzare that Kodak is no longer going to make cameras..that one was a stunner..even more so than the death of Kodachrome..

Scot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast