Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get a film SLR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking to get a film SLR

Hi everybody!

Recently I have become rather interested in getting a beginner film camera, just as a bit of a fun hobby within a hobby. I was looking around an the only one that my local camera store will order is this one:

http://www.henrys.com/1562-NIKON-FM1...RAP-MS-76.aspx

I was wondering if anyone has film cameras or has this specific one. I also had a few questions:

-What kind of film would this use? How much does it cost?
    -I assume that since it is full manual it would be a fair bit more difficult to use than a DSLR?
    -Would the lens it comes with be a good one?

I would not be using this for closeups, just some wider angle shots.

Thanks in advance!
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a SLR, I'd spend a little more money and get a digital one.
    Something like this:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Digital.html

With film you have the price of the film + development. You'll spend a lot more in the long run.
    Plus digital you can be so much more creative. If you do not like it...delete.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already have a DSLR, I just want to try film for fun. Won't be shooting very much on it.

I get that the film and development is a bit pricey, but for the number of photos I will be taking it won't be that much.

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people on Etsy occasionally list some really nice ones.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea where you would buy film and get it processed in Canada. I don't think Wal-Mart is processing film any longer. The people at Henry's can probably tell you. For 35mm color print film a 36 exposure roll is probably $3-7 US dollars. Processing without prints to a CD probably about the same. With prints $8-12 USD. Slide film is the opposite - 36 exposure roll $6-14 - processing $4-6.

Film is a great way to learn the basics of photography. Due to the expense and lack of instant gratification you spend a lot more time thinking about what you are doing. It eventually becomes second nature. Many of the photography classes around here have the students start out with film cameras before moving to digital. The cameras I started out with were a lot less sophisticated than the disposable film cameras you can still find sometimes.

At least with a Nikon you can use many of the old manual focus lenses. Some are quite optically superb. I'm not sure if you'd get metering on your D5100 but manual focus lenses can be used on some of the Nikon DSLRs. It may not be all that much more difficult to use than a DSLR. The manual film camera may do less things for you but also has much less controls and dealy-bobs to confuse you.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Nikon N70 that I don't use anymore and a few lenses. It uses standard 35mm film and would be willing to let it go for pretty cheap. The lenses can be used with modern DSLRs. They are:

Nikon 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 AF-D
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80-200mm-f45-56-d.htm

Sigma AF 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 Aspherical
    http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/...asp?IDLens=359

Nikkor 18-35mm f/35-80
    http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...9_3128crx.aspx

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 Fixed
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/5018af.htm

The camera:
    http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/com...70/f70spec.htm

Let me know if interested.
    Last edited by Brokken; 03-09-2012 at 09:36 PM.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the offer brokken! But I fear that the fragile photographic equipment would be destroyed, especially since they need to be shipped internationally. But thanks again!

@NaN: Interesting insights, I do like the limitation of only being able to take a few photos. Very interesting.

Looks like I will be heading over to henry's in the next few weeks to annoy them about film cameras!

Thanks for all the advice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peatmoss View Post
    Recently I have become rather interested in getting a beginner film camera, just as a bit of a fun hobby within a hobby. I was looking around an the only one that my local camera store will order is this one:

http://www.henrys.com/1562-NIKON-FM1...RAP-MS-76.aspx

I was wondering if anyone has film cameras or has this specific one.
    I have used several SLRs during the 70s, 80s and 90s of the last century.
    My choice brand was "Konica", but they stopped producing SLRs by the end of the 70s.

Are you aware, that the "price per picture" is very high with film, so that today nearly nobody uses photofilm cameras any more? Are you aware that the KODAK company has announced to stop producing several types of 35mm films, so that films and prints will become pricier and pricier each year and that it can become very difficult to purchase films in the near future?

I also had a few questions:

-What kind of film would this use? How much does it cost?
    Nikon SLRs use 35mm photo films. The cost depends on the price.
    The kind of film depends on what you'd like to do:
    - black and white films: you can do your own film development and you can do your own black-and-white prints with relatively simple equipment.
    - color negative films: mostly used to order color prints you can show around
    - slide film: diapositives can be used with a slide-projector and a screen to do a slide-show
    Availability of the different film types today: I don't know.

If anybody doesn't know what a slide-show is: A slide-show is the historic version of a Powerpoint presentation.

-I assume that since it is full manual it would be a fair bit more difficult to use than a DSLR?
    Nikon was the producer of the best SLRs, used by most of the professional photographers. But I just looked up Wikipedia about the specific model "NIKON FM10". This one is not only a "reduced function" and "low cost" model of a Nikon SLR, it is even NOT manufactured by Nikon. Normally, Nikons photo film cameras were manufactured by Nikon itself, but this model was manufactured by "Cosina". The "M" in FM10 stands for "manual", so this camera has full manual operation. OMG, must be a feeling like photograhing with Russian cameras that were produced shortly after WWII.

-Would the lens it comes with be a good one?
    No. The "good ones" of lenses for photo film cameras had a fixed focal length, but the offer is for a lens with variable focal length. The offer even doesn't tell whether the lens is made by Nikon or not, so maybe only the body of the camera FM10 is made be Nikon and the lens is from some third party producer. If the lens you get is important for you, you better ask before buying.

I would not be using this for closeups, just some wider angle shots.
    So you'd better look out for a lens with a fixed wide angle focal distance.
    Real wide angle for 35mm film starts at 28mm focal length or less.

I'd better not invest too much in a photo film SLR.
    They are totally out of fashion.

Nikons SLRs that are sold with lenses are particularly pricey, as the lenses from Nikons SLRs can also be used with Nikons digital DSLRs. A lot of the price includes "you pay for the name" (Nikon), but with the FM10 its really not worth to pay for the name, as it is more a "Cosina" than a "Nikon".
    Last edited by jesse; 03-10-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast