What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple pictures

love that bright red save of your creation , you need to clone that and pass it around its to nice to lose it

Who, the NOID hybrid? I intend to. I was thinking of doing a short line of Sarr hybrids, like the Bug group, but with another theme. Shhhh.... I'm not saying what the group theme will be, just yet, but it should be fun. I already passed out my first division of the first plant to be named.

Thanks, Thez!

sun burn sarrs, devil plants

by the way the bug pipe i got from you is doing great
thanks

No problem. Just don't let it touch water, and never feed it after midnight.

Just sayin'.

Great plants, great pics! In addition to the excellent carnivores I like the Calceolaria and the irises.

The pot your Darlingtonia is planted in presents it very well - I like it. :-D

Moooooore pictures! OK, maybe not that many more, just a few.

I went to the potluck at "a place nearby", and had a blast! I made more rice stuffed Nepenthes, and I'd like to say they were a huge hit. Peter D'Amato had some, and really liked them. I didn't take any pictures of the dish, sorry. We then enjoyed a (blessedly short- it was ROASTING in the GH that day) talk about pollinating Pinguicula and growing Aldrovanda. The back-back area was opened up, and I got to tour the kiddie pools and Sarracenia forest, along with the private collection. These pictures are all of just the collection.

Peter showing off the cover of his new book:

110-2.jpg

Pollinating a Ping:

120.jpg

Even Paloma enjoyed the day:

112-1.jpg

Random pictures at the nursery:

173-1.jpg

172.jpg

132.jpg

127-1.jpg

129.jpg

Want!

176-1.jpg

104.jpg

095-1.jpg

094-4.jpg

088-3.jpg

086-2.jpg

085-1.jpg

079.jpg

078-3.jpg

How many of you have read "The Savage Garden"? Here's a celebrity!

076.jpg

067-2.jpg

062-3.jpg

060-1.jpg

058-3.jpg

More in the next post......

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing. Is that a sarracenia on the cover of his new book? Its kinda hard to tell from this angle.

One experiment on the fountain (I'm starting to call the vertical portion the "ladder")-- The Utricularia gramminifolia is taking off like a rocket. I even have a couple flower stalks coming up. I thought I'd add to the ladder, and I tied a Darlingtonia to it with a bit of LSF. The cobra hasn't slowed down one bit, and it rotating all the soft new leaves toward the wall. Funny!

084-2.jpg

082-1.jpg

086-1.jpg

081-1.jpg

A couple around-the-yard pictures. Now that I have finally locked the raccoons out of the pondarium I was able to put the Aldrovanda in it. And not a moment too soon: The waterwheels were down to one strand and one worry looking end piece. Now it's about five strands, each with new side-shoots popping nearly daily. Whew! And the traps are HUGE

065.jpg

119.jpg

102-1.jpg

097-1.jpg

095.jpg

062-2.jpg

055-1.jpg

049-4.jpg

052-1.jpg

045-2.jpg

043-1.jpg

Growing outside in the bog, Utricularia dichotoma:

036-3.jpg

Lookit what Dory bought me!

077-1.jpg

078-2.jpg

Tht-tht-tht-tht-- that's all folks!

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing. Is that a sarracenia on the cover of his new book? Its kinda hard to tell from this angle.

I COULD be mean and make you wait. I did deliberately use that picture, instead of the full front one. It's Sarracenia "Deep Throat" with a woman's painted-nailed fingers dropping in a roach. Specifically, that's Lau Hodges' hand, from the SF Conservatory, holding one of the infamous palmetto bugs. Look on the table in the next picture, it is there.

I went to the potluck at "a place nearby", and had a blast! I made more rice stuffed Nepenthes, and I'd like to say they were a huge hit. Peter D'Amato had some, and really liked them. I didn't take any pictures of the dish, sorry.

Rice stuffed nepenthes? Sounds great! Do you have a recipe?

15-20 soft, new Nepenthes pitchers, vigorously rinsed*
2 cups sushi rice
1 can coconut milk, shaken until your eyeballs rattle**
2 tablespoons sugar

Soak the rice in water overnight. Re-triple-rinse pitchers, cut off lids and tendrils. Do NOT cut into the pitcher chamber. Stack upside down to drain.
Using a narrow spoon, gently fill each pitcher half full of rice-- use the end of the spoon or a chopstick to GENTLY tamp down the rice. Punctures are bad news. Put water in the steamer and put the bottom in. Stack the pitchers upright in the steamer. Use bunched foil to fill the empty space to keep the pitchers upright. In a bowl, mix the sugar into the coconut milk. Use a turkey baster to fill the pitchers the rest of the way with the coconut milk. Steam for one hour, with the timer set for fifteen minute increments to check the fluid level in the pitchers and top off the water in the bottom of the steamer (important!). Top off any pitchers that need it. AFter the hour, remove the steamer lid, shut off the stove, and allow to rest until you can handle them. Handle with care- they're pretty soft.

*Use softer species of Nepenthes. The woodier species aren't as enjoyably edible. It is better to use newly opened pitchers because they are softer, and have had less time to acquire that distinct insect aftertaste.
** Use a can opener to open the coconut milk. There will be "cream" on the top, and you miss it if you use a churchkey opener.

Optional chicken mole:

1 lb dark meat chicken, cut int 2" pieces.
1/2 c soy sauce
1/2 c vinegar
2 heaping tbs brown sugar

Combine all ingredients when you start the rice soaking the night before. When the rice gets going, start cooking the chicken. If you want more sauce, bake the chicken in a lidded dish. If you want less, thicker sauce, put it in a sauce pan and cook that way. It's all up to you!

Last edited:
:hail:

HI KT!! :wave:

Wow! Are sure it is safe to eat though?

Thanks! Sounds like a great dish! I really want to try this once I find enough pitchers. :D

Wow! Are sure it is safe to eat though?

Perfectly edible. In some parts they are a treasured treat. As long as you use pitchers that haven't caught anything (more than a gnat), you'll be fine.

Dueoka, I gathered mine over the course of a month. I would wash them well, and put them in a bucket in the freezer. I would change that to a lidded container, then call it a good plan. No longer than a month or two-- they get freezer burn easy.

Last edited:
Here are a few more. These were taken on our way up to the potluck.

The ever-present fog rolling through the Golden Gate Bridge:

049.jpg

054.jpg

040.jpg

051.jpg

There is always a LOT of trade in and out of the Bay. Here is a container ship going out, first past Alcatraz, then along the San Fransisco skyline. Behind Alcatraz, you can see Yerba Buena Island, connected to the artificial and flat Treasure Island, joined to the mainland by two spans of the Bay Bridge.

018.jpg

023.jpg

025.jpg

024.jpg

029.jpg

036.jpg

And lastly, a random shot of the guns on the USS Iowa during her brief refurbishing, before being towed to ThezYo's home port in SoCal.

120.jpg

cool pics! All on my life's "to see" list.

Back