What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple pictures

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
A couple pictures - DUW!

I went outside and took a few pictures. Enjoy!

Drosera peltata in the bog. It's loving it, so far.

067-1.jpg

Multiple views of a young marsh marigold flower. The plant is still very small.

061-1.jpg

042-2-1.jpg

040.jpg

006-1.jpg

Mimulus gutatta, AKA sticky monkeyflower.

033-1.jpg

Some kind of moss.

015-2.jpg

I'll keep posting more as I take them. I couldn't find the last thread I made for pictures.

ETA: I added a huge mess of pictures. They should, hopefully, be on page two or later.

You, users of dial-up, have been warned. :awesome:

Last edited:
The Mimulus is very interesting. Never seen that before.

lookin' good KT! love that peltata pic.

Perty!

The Mimulus is very interesting. Never seen that before.

I should do a seed giveaway. I get TONS of seed every year. It can get weedy, but it is really easy to manage. No rhizomes, no tubers or bulbs, hardly any roots. It's just a little slimy, like sundews.

Have a couple more....

I uploaded a couple more from the past couple weeks. there are more, I just need to upload them all.

Enjoy!

These guys don't stay still for long at all. Pretty hard to get any kind of decent shot. take it or leave it, LOL!

IMG_6903.jpg

We were driving to Fresno. In Los banos a quartet of little planes flew over in formation, and one by one peeled off and landed right in front of us at an airport alongside the freeway. Naturally, we stopped, and found a fly-in party going on.

IMG_6799.jpg

At the Masonic retirement homes in Union City, there is a lot of wildlife, and they'll walk right past ya.

IMG_6735.jpg

IMG_6730.jpg

That's all for now. I have more to go.

I love yellow monkey flower. It reminds me of beautiful gurgling alpine meadows in the Cascade Mountains were they grow out here. The marsh marigold is another species you would see - very nice photos! And D. peltata growing out of doors - wow!

I found a couple more from last week.

The hat. Well, uh. yeah. I was getting hot in the GH, and needed a place to hang it. I couldn't find a spot, until I spied a failed tendril on the ventrata. I wound it around, and it hung on. And there it stayed until the next morning, when I remembered to go get it back. Those tendrils are very strong.

IMG_6935.jpg

A few weeks ago I was given a good sized chunk of U. humboldtii that's been grown aquatically. I was kinda bored, and.... Yes, that's a Utric floating there in two, maybe three tanks. As of now, the leaves have browned and the traps melted off, but there is a lot of green happening at the growth area. I'll get more pictures later.

IMG_6888.jpg

IMG_6892.jpg

IMG_6890.jpg

IMG_6891.jpg

Last edited:
Okeydokey. Head's up, here's a flood. I had a little fun today.

Very nice photos! Love the giant nep vine with the hat on it lol. :)

PS: Check the chat box!

Picture flood!

Here they are. Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots.........

One of my favorite flowers, bearded iris.

030.jpg

034-2.jpg

152.jpg

161.jpg

This one's named "Katie Girl". I had to have it.

164.jpg

165-1.jpg

171.jpg

And a pretty Phaelenopsis hybrid. Not bad for a shot in a moving vehicle:

147.jpg

A pretty mystery hybrid, a grocery store markdown "rescue":

212-1.jpg

Update on the pond & fountain. I placed some Utric. sprigs in various places, to see if they would take. The fountain got totally overgrown with algae and diatoms (the brown snot), and I had given up hope. Now, all of a sudden, the Utrics took hold with enthusiasm, and are growing quite well. I think the majority of the surviving colonies are U. graminifolia, but I'll only really know when it blooms. I put U. gramini. on this side, U. bisquemata on the left, and U. dichotoma on the rock under the waterfall.

244.jpg

ETA: I'll be danged. Look at the base of the stick in the middle of the picture, standing straight up (that looks like a cherry stem), and tell me if that's not a sundew. I never noticed it until now!

245.jpg

246-1.jpg

247.jpg

248.jpg

Ahhh... gardenia. Another favorite, but not just for how it looks! The greenhouse smells sooo nice right now!

253.jpg

I forgot the name of this species orchid. It smells very strongly of coconut pie. Yum!

272.jpg

Sarracenia "Dixi Lace"

316.jpg

To be continued!

Lovely pictures :-D Those bearded iris are to die for! Love that water feature. I bet you could throw some sundew seeds on the waterfall and get them to grow. I had some capes come up in the duckweed in the pond once.

Part two....

Another one of the "Dixi Lace":

384.jpg

Thin ice, pal....

379.jpg

A gorgeous Darlingtonia I'm babysitting for Natalie. You'll have to ask about the interesting setup she has, involving a solar powered water pump, a spare water tank, a siphon, and keeping the plant submerged during the day. It loves it!

394.jpg

More growth on the fountain Utrics. Looks like the little sundew is gone. Oh, well.

400.jpg

399.jpg

A couple pretty shots I grabbed while out on a drive:

411.jpg

432.jpg

Here's the Drosera peltata in the bog. The avocado tree is dropping all it's unfertilized flowers, and it's snowing with them. The funny thing is, all the sundews seem to like the flowers. Must be enough protein in them to be worth digesting.

463.jpg

Here's a spider and a flower. Looks like just the spider is getting eaten here.

468.jpg

Some pretty hybrid:

470.jpg

S. "popei" in red:

472.jpg

This was given to me as a plant yet to be officially named. The desired name is "Dinnerplate Dan" for the extra large lids. This guy here has been recovering from illness (brown thumb) for a while. Hopefully it shows it's characteristic large lids soon.

473.jpg

474.jpg

I forgot the exact mix, it's on the tag outside. Something from Damon, involving Leuc, purp "red Ruffles" and.... Hey, I think that's just it. I'll look later, if I remember.

475.jpg

This is a hybrid I crossed myself, a few years ago. It's starting to really color up! If only I can remember what it was. Obviously a purp cross. It could be purp. x (leuc. x purp.) I remember having a really pretty purp. back then that flowered, then died later during a plant-sitting accident.

481.jpg

482.jpg

Ahhh, a new "discovery" for me. Water net! I read about it, and never realized it's all OVER the place. It's an algae, and can get to be a pest. I have it in a contained experimental "pondarium". Each side of the polygon is supposedly a single multinucleated cell. That's a BIG cell!

485.jpg

486.jpg

Bonus! I never saw this piece when I brought home my samples. It must have been hiding in the hair-like filamentous algae (which sank to the bottom of the 3' tank. Bummer). It's, you guessed it, giant water net. Wow, LOOT!

559.jpg

554.jpg

A cookie jar full of Utricularia humboldtii, Aldrovanda, and a couple sprigs of U. gibba. And a couple random plants, to help keep things balanced. Not a bit of algae, so far.

488.jpg

More coming....

Part three....

Like the Energizer bunny.

Hey, well, at least one of ya told me I don't post enough pictures. You asked for it! :mwahaha:

A pretty Psychopsis orchid of some sort. I got it at OSH for WAY less than I should have paid for it. It wasn't even the flowers that I fell in love with, it was the spotted leaves.

490.jpg

Here's a Drosera capensis that's being goofy. I suppose it's getting ready to divide, and went crestate for a little while. Let's hope it forgets to finish the job, LOL!

502.jpg

497.jpg

492.jpg

504.jpg

I have no excuse.

510.jpg

511.jpg

Utricularis longifolia, naturalizing well outside. Another great idea from my friends in NorCal.

512.jpg

Another forgotten hybrid. Oreophyla crossed with a fancy flava, I think.

500.jpg

501.jpg

S. flava with a wavy ala:

516.jpg

515.jpg

Here's a goofball. It's a leaf that couldn't decide whether to become a pitcher or a phyllodia. It chose-- both. Only the last 1/4" is inflated.

518.jpg

519.jpg

521.jpg

522.jpg

523.jpg

524.jpg

525.jpg

S. leucophylla 'Hurricane Creek White' spring pitcher:

526.jpg

Another goofball:

531.jpg

535.jpg

Bug pipes with bug poop:

538.jpg

S. alata black tube x flava red tube:

541.jpg

A really lovely Calceolaria cultivar. Again, I left the name on it's tag out back. The picture really IS in focus. The flowers are velvety.

546.jpg

Mud dauber wasp. Almost friendly in temperment, and good for the garden.

563.jpg

Lastly but not leastly, _______ insert name here. They are not Daphnia. Kula once told me, but... Yeah, I forgot again. :blush: These are in the "pondarium".

549.jpg

Last edited:
Psychopsis mendenhall?

Nice pics :D I really like the phyllodia-pitcher thing, that's hilarious! Everything's looking really good. And it's spelled oreophila just fyi.

Sorry, pineapple. I was pretty buried working on these posts. I wasn't watching the chat box.

I was at the South Bay CP event, but didn't stay long, due to a negative budget. I stayed long enough to say "Hi!" to friends, then left.

Mooooore pictures!

Was George, then we found out he's most likely a she, so now it's Georgia.

109.jpg

107-1.jpg

105.jpg

102.jpg

Sarracenia 'Popeii'

059.jpg

Thin ice, guys....

061.jpg

058-1.jpg

Here's one I got ages ago from fleabay. He's trying to get it named. Here it is, finally looking like it should.

063.jpg

The bromeliad got upgraded to a bigger pot. And it made a mini-me!

039-1.jpg

038.jpg

Orchids! My favorite on top, O. 'Sharry Baby' "Ruby Doll", smells just like a regular Sharry Baby, chocolate and vanilla, plus a hint of raspberry. The others are NOIDs.

030-2.jpg

035-2.jpg

024-2.jpg

033-1.jpg

023.jpg

034-4.jpg

Phycopsis mendenhall, we presume?

046-2.jpg

045-2.jpg

One FABulous pot for a couple nice cobras. Mountain form. We spent three hours puttering about the Morgan Hill area foothills, looking for a road cut through some pure serpentine. Oh, did we ever find some! I brought home a couple gallons of leavings from a recent rockslide, dumped in the middle of an already narrow turnout. I thin rinsed, graded , then triple rinsed the rock, and got four groups: 7-1.5", 1.5-1/4", 1/4-1/8", 1/8"-sand. I then added some of each, in measured amounts, to some Cobra-friendly soil mix, including pumice, orchid bark and LFS. The sand component was serpentine, thanks to my handy sifter (colander).

049-1.jpg

053.jpg

050-2.jpg

019.jpg

054-1.jpg

055-2.jpg

056.jpg

Went RC soaring yesterday.

Darned....

006-2.jpg

....downwind....

004-3.jpg

....leg.

003-3.jpg

Still, between the inventive landing and a broken wing spar that happened two weeks ago (and was too lazy to fix), I still got this: (ignore the "Expert", there is no such class, it's an old card. The class is now called 2m woodie fledgeling, AKA total Rookies.)

065-1.jpg

Here's a project I'm nearly done working on. I need to fill in the covering just a bit more.... BTW, this is the stuff I've been talking about. Nitrate dope. Yes, this is what eventually coined the nickname "dope" for dummies, illicit pharmaceuticals, and airheads. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_dope">Wikipedia describes aircraft dope</a> and <a href="http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGND001.html">SIG Nitrate dope</a> I am smarter, and use one of these: <a href="http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/PPESafetySolutions/PPESafety/Personal_Protective_Equipment/Product_Catalog/~/3M-Dual-Cartridge-Respirator-Assembly-07192-Organic-Vapor-P95-Medium?N=4294929617+5011378&Nr=AND%28hrcy_id%3AGSM9X9889Zgs_JK1SBGQJFL_N2RL3FHWVK_GPD0K8BC31gv%29&rt=d"> 3M respirator</a> That smell gets into your hair, your clothes, your fingers are shiny and scratchy for a week.... But it's worth the effort, don't'chya think?

066.jpg

074.jpg

Dory and Paloma:

012-4.jpg

Niiiiice and nice tiedye plane!

Back