User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Share photos of your neighborhood birds. :)

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All these pics are great. Plants may be my hobby at the moment, but I'm still a bird-o at heart..

If any of you are ever in Portland, be sure to check out the Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge in Ridgefield, WA, just over the Columbia from Portland. It has a mind-boggling amount of rare birds and the most raptors I've ever seen in one place - not to mention otters, beavers, coyotes, and albino nutria all over the place.

http://www.ridgefieldfriends.org/index.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fern ridge in Eugene or. is great also,my back yard is almost as good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Brie. Those painted buntings are so hard to get since they are so skittish. For a colorful bird they aren't very bold.

Cthulhu138, nope. Red Bellied Wood Pecker for sure. A male too. This is the first woodpecker I learned as a kid since it was the the only one that would come to a feeder I used to have.

Thez_yo, if you can capture a pic of a hummingbird you're better than you think. I have never been able to snap a decent hummingbird pic and the few times one held still it was back lit like it KNEW I wouldn't be able to get it.

Mato77429, that's great to hear. Thanks for the link to that place. I'd like to visit Oregon one day. There's a nursery up ther I'd like to see sometime too.

It rained yesterday and all the seed and bug shells in my feeder got soaked. I'm not getting too many birds today. I think I need to change it and feed the moist food to my hens.

Here's another pic of the Red Bellies Woodpecker.

These next birds aren't natives but I got some decent pics (again I just have a hard time with bird pics) for my recent trip to Grand Bahama in Feb for 16th anniversary.

I've started a new tradition on this last trip. Whenever I go to a brand new place as soon as I step off the ship/plane/bus etc. take a pic of the first bird you see no matter what it is. Of course you hope for that new exotic you've never seen that's not native to your region. But most likely it will be something common. I ended up with the common pigeon or rock dove as my first bird. Darn! Well I love pigeons anyway but I was hoping for something amazing.

Common Gallinule at Garden of the Groves. Most of the birds I saw were also Florida natives. Our habitats are extremely similar because we're at the same latitude and very close to each other.

Cuban Emerald. Finally a new and definitely exotic bird. Sadly I think this is the best pic of a hummingbird I've ever gotten.

This was definitely my favorite bird I saw on this trip. Red Legged Thrush. Definitely wont' see these in the States. Andthe best thing was that he was friendly and came right up me and posed unlike the hummers.

I love this funny pic. I knew he was about to fluff and caught him in action. His body was moving but his head was stationary. Hehe. Well until I take more I think I'm out of bird pics. I have others but they are all very similar.

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pictures everyone! I have a couple to add. These were not taken under the best conditions. Both were in the back yard on very cloudy days. Used a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 (first generation) adapted to my Canon DSLR. Both were taken at 210mm and around f3.5 or f4; I can't remember which.

Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thagirion: Thanks!

Crissytal: WOW that's a nice turkey!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged