What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ErrorEN

Your Real Mom
What's up guysss :D
So this year is the first year I have had Sarracenia flowers. :boogie: As of now these plants are flowering for me:
  • xMoorei from Botanique
  • "Leah Wilkerson"
  • Unknown hybrid (Likely a cross between Rubra and Leucophylla)
Now to get to the point, I was wondering if it is possible to store pollen and send it to other people to make crosses. If so, think of all the possibilities! I would really like to see more hybrids between Leah Wilkerson and Adrian Slack. :-O So can it be done? If it is, everyone can post what hybrids they would like to see here and those that do have the plants can exchange the pollen! Hope this takes off! :banana2:

I posted something similar to this in the pitcher plant subboard about what people thought i should make crosses with with my personal plants. check there because i'm going to be collecting pollen so if you want some from any of my plants just let me know. we could try trading pollen. Treating it like an SASE is probably the best way to go. just let me know

I think I remember reading that Sarracenia pollen is only good for a day or two unless you freeze it? Not sure how that would work with sending out pollen in the mail. :\

hmmm, well it might be worth a shot, you never know until you try :D

Sounds like a really cool idea! I was just thinking about it too... if you have any extra Leah Wilkerson pollen I would love to use it on my nice gulfensis X rubra okenifkis for a 50/50 seed split :D.

Yes, It can be done...all you have to do is put the freshly fallen pollen on some tin foil, wrap it up, and send it off protected so the pollen doesn't mash.

Sounds good Lance. I will PM you. :D

do you still have any leah pollen? i have a single flower on reptilian rose. split the seeds?

Oh. :D That would be awesome. I will PM you.

I'll be willing to get in on this if you guys think it should work! My Sarracenia alata "Black Tube" will bloom first, and and I don't have anything to pollinate it with. Does anyone have any pollen right now that would be a cool combination for 50% of the seeds? I can't promise much though since I've never propagated sarrs before. I can send out some of the alata's pollen as well, what's the best way to do that?

Here's a list of what's going to be blooming:

S. alata "Black Tube"
S. 'Leah Wilkerson'
S. unknown hybrid (possibly flava mix)
S. leucophylla

S. minor
S. purpurea

The ones in bold are the ones that have flower buds already. The ones not in bold haven't started growing yet but will probably produce buds.

Also, here's a picture of my "Black Tube"... Can the sarr gurus tell me approximately how long it will take for these flowers to open up?

i would say about two weeks natalie

Thanks Cody - judging by the growth that's occurred since I posted that photo, I'd say you're about right. No takers on the Black Tube?

Back