Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chatbox Code of Conduct Reminder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said Dexenthes. I completely agree.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Dex on the stance about not mentioning the vendors for the sake of promoting flytrapshop. Do you really get an increase in customers if other vendors are banned? Perhaps promoting your own store and offering a wider selection of plants would be a better option? A bit of healthy competition is always a good thing.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll let someone else respond to the vendor discussion portion.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ57 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly to you mean by "illegal file sharing"?
    The biggest examples include pirated music and movies that have been obtained without the proper licensing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rball View Post
    Refernces to Legal drugs are a no no too that should be in there
    I haven't consulted with Andrew or the other moderators but this is how I interpret this rule. I'll let Andrew or any of the other mods clarify/overrule me as necessary.

The rule stems around illegal drugs but also extends to the abuse of legal drugs. For example, "dudez I just got pwned by partaking in so much legal over the counter cough syrup. Walgreens Rocks, AMIRITE?!" is not appropriate. Obviously the discussion surrounding legal drugs falls into a much greyer category; and as I am about to have shoulder surgery I could foresee an innocent conversation developing in the chatbox where painkiller usage arises.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypothetical Chatbox Conversation
    Person 1: "Surgery went well. It hurts a lot and if it wasn't for the painkillers I wouldn't even be able to browse TF..."
    Person 2: "I had surgery last year and the painkillers they gave me made me sick."
    Person 1: "What did they give you?"
    Person 2: "Whateverthiroxine."
    Person 1: "Oh yeah. Me too! That stuff really messed me up."
    Person 2: "INORITE? I was staring cross eyed at the ceiling for hours..."
    Typically when questionable natural conversations occur in a grey area they are reviewed based on intent and impact. Across the forums the best course of action anytime something comes up that may just possibly and even slightly violate the rules or even be interpreted as a rule violation it is probably best to not say it or not participate. On the other hand, if a natural conversation develops into questionable territory (like the example above) it would be best to cease the discussion in the public venue.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just some input. I agree that the ban on mentioning vendors is annoying.
    However...this is Andrew's forum, not ours. While I welcome suggestions to change this rule, I don't think it should be the case that anyone actually breaks it. This Forum, in my eyes, is almost a gift. I don't have the funds, currently, to purchase many plants, or to donate via the calendar. I would hope others would also be willing to follow the fairly lenient rules as a toke of appreciation for what is given to us.
    Happy growing,
    Kyle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a note: I have made the decision to significantly cut back on my participation on TF precisely because I find the "no naming vendors" rule unreasonably constrictive. Yes, it is the forum owners right to set whatever regulations they wish, but it is worth noting that in this instance, for this user, it has precipitated an undesirable change in behavior.

I believe that when a certain plant is discussed on TF, that flytrapshop should always be the first place referenced as a source. However, when the sought-after plant is not in the inventory of flytrapshop, it is reasonable (IMO) to suggest where one might obtain it. The argument could be made that any reference to any supplier drives traffic off the TF pages, but again, I think there is also the possibility that the current rule can have the effect of driving users away from TF, period.

I'm not suggesting changes in policy, I am just making an observation based on my personal experience. Feel free to disregard any/all of these remarks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're complaining now - everyone agreed to those rules when they joined up so none of xvart's original post should come as a nasty surprise but rather as a stern reminder.

Among other things, whenever I used to hit the barrier that I obtained a plant from a different vendor and I knew I can't name other businesses on here, I wanted to sell something, or I wanted to trade things that Flytrapshop sells; I just emailed, used AIM, used another forum, or just sent things as a surprise.

Recently it appeared to me in the chatbox that people were allowed to use vendors' names and actually 'shortened' names of their businesses without chastisement, so I started doing some of that too because I thought the rules had become less rigid. ()

It's kind of startling when all of a sudden people appear to be banned out of the blue but I get it when I re-read the rules. When your friend disappears all of a sudden, it's hard to remember when you're sad/disappointed/mad that instead of venting on here, you should go re-read the rules. In order to facilitate 'remembering the rules', could TF please assign a dedicated chatbox mod? Or at least have a mod pop in at least once a day to make sure everything's going ok? Both to make sure that everyone is staying within the rules, and to realign things *if* there is something going on outside of the allowed.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to second the vendor argument, but in all other instances, I think the rules are fair. After having visited a different forum, which did not enforce any kind of regulation in its chat box, I can see the necessity of maintaining these guidelines so that people may actually carry on thought-provoking conversations, without having some capricious, randy adolescent interrupting with crude remarks and insults just to be able to laugh to themselves, at home, in the dark.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that this is a plant forum, and I think others should, too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vbkid View Post
    Just some input. I agree that the ban on mentioning vendors is annoying.
    However...this is Andrew's forum, not ours. While I welcome suggestions to change this rule, I don't think it should be the case that anyone actually breaks it. This Forum, in my eyes, is almost a gift. I don't have the funds, currently, to purchase many plants, or to donate via the calendar. I would hope others would also be willing to follow the fairly lenient rules as a toke of appreciation for what is given to us.
    Happy growing,
    Kyle
    Agreed. That's why I've never publicly complained about the vendor discussion ban before. But now Xvart opened up this topic for discussion so I felt compelled to give my opinion, and that's all it is! I'll continue using Terraforums regardless!

Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    If you're complaining now - everyone agreed to those rules when they joined up so none of xvart's original post should come as a nasty surprise but rather as a stern reminder.

Among other things, whenever I used to hit the barrier that I obtained a plant from a different vendor and I knew I can't name other businesses on here, I wanted to sell something, or I wanted to trade things that Flytrapshop sells; I just emailed, used AIM, used another forum, or just sent things as a surprise.

Recently it appeared to me in the chatbox that people were allowed to use vendors' names and actually 'shortened' names of their businesses without chastisement, so I started doing some of that too because I thought the rules had become less rigid. ()

It's kind of startling when all of a sudden people appear to be banned out of the blue but I get it when I re-read the rules. When your friend disappears all of a sudden, it's hard to remember when you're sad/disappointed/mad that instead of venting on here, you should go re-read the rules. In order to facilitate 'remembering the rules', could TF please assign a dedicated chatbox mod? Or at least have a mod pop in at least once a day to make sure everything's going ok? Both to make sure that everyone is staying within the rules, and to realign things *if* there is something going on outside of the allowed.
    A chatbox mod is a good idea. I understand that the existing mods are not on the site as much as many of the regular chatbox violators, so if one were made perhaps it would be a good idea to make one of the very active and responsible members into said mod.

Anyway, all just my opinion anyway! Not trying to tell anyone what to do just stating the observations I've made while here.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast