Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chatbox Code of Conduct Reminder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a chatroom violator and as probably the most experienced forumer and chatroomer here, I say that a chatroom mod is NOT A GOOD IDEA for a small community like us.
    Formerly known as WaterKirby.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeafKirby View Post
    As a chatroom violator and as probably the most experienced forumer and chatroomer here, I say that a chatroom mod is NOT A GOOD IDEA for a small community like us.
    Could you explain why please? I've never been on a chatbox/chatroom before TF so I sincerely have no idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Could you explain why please? I've never been on a chatbox/chatroom before TF so I sincerely have no idea.
    To this day, I've been in over 15-30 small community chatrooms, and too many to count bigger ones, chatroom. The 8ish smaller ones that had mods all ended in extreme conflict. I believe it because if so little people around, you gotta go with what you have. So, with more focused conversations, rather than just talking to newer or random people, people are do much more likely to conflict with eachother.

If that didn't make any sense, ill try and use this example. With less people to talk to, you talk more than you would vs you having more people to talk. In those conversations, you're likely to hit more sensitive points with someone else over and over untill a enough rage builds between those two people. In this case, its gonna be a heated issue and starts with a bad call on the mods part.

You gotta have more than more mod to less or prevent this.
    Formerly known as WaterKirby.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A full time chat moderator is not needed. Moderators can look at the archives and take action as is needed. This could be done casually or on a rotating basis.

There have been three or four ugly incidents that I've witnessed when the presence of a moderator in chat might have eased the situation.

When Andrew added at the bottom of the chatbox the warning "Read the chat/forum rules. Breaking them can result in instant suspension from chat/forum." He did it for a reason. He even said in chat soon after that the ban hammer was the next step. People didn't take him seriously so the next step was taken.

Quote Originally Posted by mato77429 View Post
    Sometimes I have to remind myself that this is a plant forum, and I think others should, too.
    You have to remember too that Andrew and the moderators above all want this to be a kid and beginner friendly forum. Many of the other plant forums fail in this regard. In my opinion this attitude is what makes this forum stand out from the others.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 03-21-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Just a note: I have made the decision to significantly cut back on my participation on TF precisely because I find the "no naming vendors" rule unreasonably constrictive. Yes, it is the forum owners right to set whatever regulations they wish, but it is worth noting that in this instance, for this user, it has precipitated an undesirable change in behavior.

I believe that when a certain plant is discussed on TF, that flytrapshop should always be the first place referenced as a source. However, when the sought-after plant is not in the inventory of flytrapshop, it is reasonable (IMO) to suggest where one might obtain it. The argument could be made that any reference to any supplier drives traffic off the TF pages, but again, I think there is also the possibility that the current rule can have the effect of driving users away from TF, period.

I'm not suggesting changes in policy, I am just making an observation based on my personal experience. Feel free to disregard any/all of these remarks.

Yeah, I've decided to more of less fade away from this forum due to the, what I feel at least, excessive censorship. Granted, I think most of the rules are needed, but a few are so restrictive that this is beginning to feel more like an exclusive club that an open CP forum.

Sure...Andy owns it, and can do whatever he chooses with it, but it keeps alot of people away from what I've heard, and it will certainly will keep me away.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeafKirby View Post

Anyway as for the vendor thing, yeah it's kinda annoying not being able to chat about other vendors, but you have to look at other things than competition for reason on why it shouldn't be allowed.
    1.) Negative feedback is sometimes not justified, and overall just floods the forums with things for the most part people don't want to read.
    2.) This site is supported by Flytrapshop. Of course you don't want people advertising for other sites that might drive away buyers.
    3.) This site is much more information based than sites that do allow selling/other vendors being mentioned. I personally like having it that way.

At the end of the day, it is just a minor inconvenience. And besides nobody is stopping you from private messaging vendors if somebody needs help looking for a plant not on this site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sss View Post
    At the end of the day, it is just a minor inconvenience. And besides nobody is stopping you from private messaging vendors if somebody needs help looking for a plant not on this site.
    ed zachary.....
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    [*]Discussion of outside vendors (including vague references like "you know the one in [REDACTED] location) or abbreviations; and,[*]Links to websites promoting or engaging in the previously mentioned topics.

Wouldn't this mean that linking to basically ANY website regarding CPs is against the rules seeing that most have a list of vendors? i.e. Barry Rice's website having a list of vendor's links?
    Growlist
    IN HOC

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast